Please somebody help me!! H-H Humax

ez_livin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I am getting very frustrated, The problem is this; I have a humax 5400 (patched) and I have just got a professional installer to set up a H-H DiSEqC mount (with a 80/70cm Dish), All is fine. I have set up the box to use seven satellites, Hotbird, PAS 3R, Hispasat, Thor, Sirus, Astra 1 and Eurobird. The big problem is that the motor doesn’t want to return to Astra 1, PAS 3R and Hispasat, Infact it really only picks up Hotbird and Sirus without fault.
I have tried to reset the position for Astra but I just cannot get a decent signal!
The questions, which I have, are, do climatic conditions affect signal strength? Has anyone else had the same problems? Could it be due to non official (Humax) software or what…please help, Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do I take it that you had all of the mentioned satellites when it was first set up?

Rolf

ez_livin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Yes, However after checking things out a little deeper I have found out that on most of the above mentioned satellites i am recieving free to air (clear) channels and also reading a strong signal on the signal meter for these. However the scrambled channels have no signal reading at all, allough I know that my dish is facing the correct satellite (as I have the fta channels without fault). The worst culprit for this is Astra 1. Does what I tell you help you at all?
Something else....Sometimes I get everything without fault... Maybe it's an excorcism that i need not a sat doctor! Thanks!

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
hello ez

have you checked to see if your problem is polarity related?

1. it might be to do with voltage switching.

or

2. sometimes when an lnb starts to pack in, one of the polarities goes before the other.

just a thought

W.H.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Feb-02 AT 08:31 PM (GMT)]Yes Ez_livin, check out if there are any obvious trends as W.H suggests, ie all horizontals missing, or all high band channels.

If none of the above applies and you are getting a mix of all polarisations and bands, then I know with some receivers the channel scan can be directed to scan for clear channels only, if this has been done on the Humax, it may have a similar effect to the one you are experiencing.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If the transponder list is not cleared down before setting up on a motorised system, some receivers have little or no memory left to capture the new parameters of position, and so the memory refuses to collect/arrange them. If the receiver captures each different parameter of the transponder as a separate entity then this uses mor memory than a tree like system.

Im not saying this happens to Humax receivers, but try deleting all stored transponders, wait for it to 'update data', initiate a full memory clear and start again

CH

ez_livin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
When I had a static dish with hotbird only I had no problem at all, now that I have upgraded to motor (h-h) I have problems. I cleared all channels and started again but the problem remains the same. Sometimes I get everything but mostly I get only clear channels, for example I can switch to cnbc (clear/Astra) and check the signal strength with good signal and good signal quality, I can then turn to the next channel and receive nothing (Astra channel) So I check the signal meter and I have good signal strength but 0% signal quality, It seems to be like this across the board. However when I do receive encrypted channels I get both good signal and quality! Any ideas? Thanks

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Try a bypass of the motor first.

Move the dish to the satellite position and then connect the LNB directly to the back of the receiver. If you get good reception of both free and scrambled signals then look at the new bits.

Im thinking that the motor is the last thing fitted and there may be a loss through either the new piece of cable, or the loss through the interface which may be causing trouble.

ez_livin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
I took your advice and have noticed that when i have problems all the horizontal channels are working without fault and that the vertical channels have no signal quality (as above).
However if i switch through a couple of horizontal channels in a row then the vertical channels will work for some time.
Last night I wanted to watch a film on one of the k channels(which is vertical) every now and again it would stop working (no or bad signal, So i would just switch to a horizontal channel for 1 second and then back to the film which would now work... So any ideas on this one folks? Thanks.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Do you have a long run of cable to the dish ?

Did you try bypassing the motor ?

If so the cure may be a different type of LNB

Some on the market need 14 and 18 volts minimum which the receiver is hard pushed to provide through the motor, You would need one that runs at 13/18V