Pls Help Newbie with setting up my kit

ccc2004

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would be most grateful for any help setting up my first system....

I have just bought....

1.1m dish
@sat Motor (diseqc 1.2, go to x (usals) function etc)
Fortec Star FSCI - 5100 Ultra receiver

Got it mounted etc but can't set it up - got Hotbird by moving it manually but cant get anything else (the satellite details were downloaded into the receiver by the dealer upon purchase), I have worked out that I needed the following for my location (Telford, Shropshire)....

Lattitude 52.682
Longitude -2.451
Elevation 152m

I (believe) I have set the dish bracket and motor angle accordingly but can't grasp this southernmost satellite setting.

Can anybody give me an idiots guide?

Many thanks

Chris.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
ccc2004 said:
Hi everyone,

I would be most grateful for any help setting up my first system....

I have just bought....

1.1m dish
@sat Motor (diseqc 1.2, go to x (usals) function etc)
Fortec Star FSCI - 5100 Ultra receiver

Got it mounted etc but can't set it up - got Hotbird by moving it manually but cant get anything else (the satellite details were downloaded into the receiver by the dealer upon purchase), I have worked out that I needed the following for my location (Telford, Shropshire)....

Lattitude 52.682
Longitude -2.451
Elevation 152m

I (believe) I have set the dish bracket and motor angle accordingly but can't grasp this southernmost satellite setting.

Can anybody give me an idiots guide?

Many thanks

Chris.

Hi Chris

I think you're confusing elevation ASL with your dish elevation.
From your coordinates I make the elevation to be about 29.4.
Set this angle on your dish first.
With Usals menu in your receiver, set your Longitude and Latitude.
Position your dish roughly south.
Select a reference satellite in the menu (e.g. Hotbird) and press OK.The dish will move east to about the Hotbird position.
You will probably need a sat. meter or someone to check for signal level on the receiver while you move the pole to obtain max. signal.
All other satellites should be set now.

Llew

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Hi

Go to the " Tutorials and How To Guides" section of the board and click on "Setting up a dish"

ccc2004

Reaction score
Hi Llew,

Thanks for your help, my usals menu allows me to set longitude to either East or West and latitude to North or South too, any idea which ones I need?

Chris.

Llew said:
Hi Chris

I think you're confusing elevation ASL with your dish elevation.
From your coordinates I make the elevation to be about 29.4.
Set this angle on your dish first.
With Usals menu in your receiver, set your Longitude and Latitude.
Position your dish roughly south.
Select a reference satellite in the menu (e.g. Hotbird) and press OK.The dish will move east to about the Hotbird position.
You will probably need a sat. meter or someone to check for signal level on the receiver while you move the pole to obtain max. signal.
All other satellites should be set now.

Llew

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
@ ccc2004....When aligning your dish for the first time it's best to point it 1' West at Thor....Thor booms in and is very easy to find!....as for using USALS it's all down to carefull reading.....I sected 'Motor' on my top box menu.....this enables me to pulse the dish then save position, which is far better for fine tuning to recieive stronger signals.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
ccc2004 said:
Hi Llew,

Thanks for your help, my usals menu allows me to set longitude to either East or West and latitude to North or South too, any idea which ones I need?

Chris.

Longitude E
Latitude N (Assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere)
I have this receiver but don't use Diseqc as I have a separate positioner,but this method should work OK.
BTW I think you have to store after OKing your reference satellite.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
@ ccc2004....Your Latitude is it North or South of the Equator?

ccc2004

Reaction score
Well I think i'm winning - the dish now moves round to the different positions, but i'm only getting a signal on Hotbird, Astra 19.2 and one of the Eutelsat. Great signal on these though !!

Any idea's??????????

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ccc2004 said:
Well I think i'm winning - the dish now moves round to the different positions, but i'm only getting a signal on Hotbird, Astra 19.2 and one of the Eutelsat. Great signal on these though !!

Any idea's??????????
Make sure your pole is absolutely plumb before any other adjustments.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The three satellites you are getting strong signals from are all close together.

With my limited knowledge, I would check the mount is perfectly vertical.

If it is not then the arch that the dish scans would be too high or low and you will miss other satellites.

I have seen a post that explains this better - will have a look and get back to you - unless anyone else remembers it.

ccc2004

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I will check this out tomorrow (weather permitting !)

All your help is much appreciated.

Chris.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Llew said:
Longitude E
Latitude N (Assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere)
I have this receiver but don't use Diseqc as I have a separate positioner,but this method should work OK.
BTW I think you have to store after OKing your reference satellite.

Just a little point Llew always Lat before Long......Longitude is East or West of Greenwich m8.....and if using a compass for alignment there will be a variation, for west you add variation for true....East subract variation!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
waverider said:
Just a little point Llew always Lat before Long......Longitude is East or West of Greenwich m8.....and if using a compass for alignment there will be a variation, for west you add variation for true....East subract variation!

Not according to Fortec's menu page, but what do they know O-Ha
I get your point though, Wavey.
Yeah, I disregarded the minus sign and placed him in northern France, I think!
He'll be adjusting the pole for EW position though.
Adding a few degrees for magnetic variation doesn't alter the elevation figure significantly using SMW Link.

Llew

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Llew said:
Not according to Fortec's menu page, but what do they know O-Ha
I get your point though, Wavey.
Yeah, I disregarded the minus sign and placed him in northern France, I think!
He'll be adjusting the pole for EW position though.
Adding a few degrees for magnetic variation doesn't alter the elevation figure significantly using SMW Link.

Llew

SMW... yes m8 thats true.....

ccc2004

Reaction score
Hi again,

Latest update.....

Pole is now 100% plumb !! but still only getting 3 satelittes (80% + signal).

One thing that has crossed my mind - I am setting my receiver as I am at Lat 52.6 / long 2.4 but my longitute (apparently) is MINUS 2.4 ???? Could this be my problem? and if so how do I set the minus?

If not anyone got anymore ideas?

Chris.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The minus will set as West.

What concerns me most is that you do not mention 1W in your list of receivable satellites, if you cannot receive this, how are you setting your due South point?

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
The arc that your motor follows across the sky is cutting through the arc of the satellites, but is not following it exactly. Check your motor angle again. If it is wrong then the arc of the dish will be too steep or too flat.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ccc2004 said:
Hi again,

Latest update.....

Pole is now 100% plumb !! but still only getting 3 satelittes (80% + signal).

One thing that has crossed my mind - I am setting my receiver as I am at Lat 52.6 / long 2.4 but my longitute (apparently) is MINUS 2.4 ???? Could this be my problem? and if so how do I set the minus?

If not anyone got anymore ideas?

Chris.

Yes, you can't enter a minus figure for Longitude in your Fortec, so I gave you the wrong bearing, it should be 2.4W. Apologies.
Your Elevation figure is still the same.

Llew

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
rolfw said:
The minus will set as West.

What concerns me most is that you do not mention 1W in your list of receivable satellites, if you cannot receive this, how are you setting your due South point?

I Know......mentioned this earlier but no one took any bloody notice Rolfw!

ccc2004

Reaction score
Finally got it all working !!!

A BIG Thank you to everyone who helped me.

Chris.