pls help

krassi22

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
cyprus
I am experiencing a wierd problem. I have 2 dishes (both 1m). One is turned to Hotbird, the other to Telstar12. I use a diseqc and my receiver is Humax 5400Z.

Everything worked fine until last wednesday, when we had severe weather conditions - lots of rain, lightning, etc for 3 days. My channels desappeared the very first day! The message I got was "no or bad signal".

Yesterday, from the Hotbird channels I managed to view all that have Vertical beam. But the rest still showed the same message "no or bad signal". From the Telstar12 channels I viewed none.

The mystery is the following: A friend of mine, using the same Humax 5400 receiver also gets only the Vertical channels of Hotbird, but can get all the Dutch channnels from Astra (which are Horizontal).

Another friend, with a different receiver said he lost his channnels just for a short period of time, but then they all came back and he sees all channels from Hotbird and from Telstar.

What may the problem be? Dislocation? LNB? the Humax?

Pls help as I dont know how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.
krassi22

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I would suggest that you first start with checking your LNBs for water ingress and also their connections.

It is quite possible that you will need to check the alignment of both dishs it is likely that the wind that you highlight has moved them slightly, the simplest way is to ask a friend to move the dish slightly 1-2 mm adjustments maximum while you watch the signal strength on your reciever etc.

And once you have turned them back in once more dont forget to mark the alignment points so that you know in the future if they have moved.

Regards

Old Satellite

krassi22

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
cyprus
Thanks Old Satellite,

I had the allignment checked and it turned out (as you said) the wind had slightly moved both dishes. On top of that, one of the LNBs had to dry up as there was quite a bit of water inside it.

Surprisingly, my frind had the same problem!

Just one more question: You suggest I make an allignment. How can I do that, so that in the future I can easily find back the satellite if the dish moves slightly again? The Telstar12 is very sensitive from my location and the slightest wind seems to dilsocate it severely?

Thanks again.

krassi

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Use a marker ( permanant) pen or Metal scriber and mark of the current positions, that way if the wind moves it once more you can easily adjust it yourself

Regards

Old Satellite