Podcasting - Now there's a thought

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Never has a grown man, nay, a 37yr old sack like me gotten so excited about technology - and before everyone else has gotten into it. Aparently, its still in its infancy (give it a week then).

Its so devilishly simple and has been around forever; yet, thanks to some rewording (sic) the desire and demand to download [this stuff] is going to boom IMHO. What is it then you old sack! ........... Podcasting, of course :eek:

You probably all know that its usually only an MP3 file on a server that you can download at your behest to your i-pod or other portable music player. The files are generally snippets of longer stuff, or, they can be whole shows:

Satellites.co.uk doing a Podcast :eek: I'm up for it - all we need now are some techies with Skype, some topics and, probably, the rest of Chris's pocket money for the oodles of server capacity required;)

Well, its a thought. Ties-in very well with RSS too.;)

Have Fun,

Mark.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, Gameboy made a post about this a while ago, both here and on our blog and it certainly is a possiblity for us, would be very useful for dish setup instructions etc. :)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
LOL, reading that quickly (as I did), the way the idea came across was not dissimilar to the speaking clock.

would be very useful for dish setup instructions etc.

"Welcome, to satsuk, so you'd like to learn about [insert topic] . Here's [insert user name] with details on how to [insert subject] - [insert cast]"

Just joking. No reason why it can't happen though. User's with Skype is a good starting point. Q and A's work better than monologues always; i.e., two people on a cast.

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think I would probably avoid the one to one Skype contact, I have not so fond memories of when we used to use the chat facility on here, it totally monopolises your time and you really can't get stuck into doing anything else..

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I don't see casts as a problem in that way. One to One is only needed during the production of a cast - and that does not have to be live on the board. Clearly after the event (if it were live) - someone wanting to hear how to set up a dish will only be able to dl a cast ;) That's what I was on about.

It simply needs forum space for input and specific RSS feed, talent to initiate, produce and deliver content (which includes some means of communication) (Skype is good - since its the leader in VOIP and audio from a two-way or conference call can be easily recorded), simple edit software like audacity and some server capacity on satsuk.

Since its not a live process, most, if not all the work can be accomplished without taking up actual forum Mod time. Its purely a bolt-on service - or, at least, it should be. :)

Does that make any sense?

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Mark, I had the incorrect extremity of the baton, yes sounds like something we could do, more in Chris's domain than mine, he likes a challenge with the site. I think that he may be upgrading the VB software this weekend though and will probably be tied up with re-installing all of the hacks we have, plus the arcade over the next week or so. :)