Pole advice

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Gameboy, the link to the post didn't work, but what height over the bracket will the dish be? A pretty standard 2" steel mast will do for small dishes, but for longer lengths, a scaffold pole or better still 3 inch mast is needed. There aren't many places to get 3" masts, will have a look about for you.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Rolfw hope you don't mind but I copied your picture as this is how I want the dish mounted. Here it is below.

The pole looks perfect, would a scaffolding pole not be a bit heavy?

If not, we have a site opposite my office and I'm sure I could ask nicely for a short pole ;-).

Thanks again for your help.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I have an aluminium scaffold pole, eight feet long, sitting on a ridge of the roof, with the bottom three feet attached to the side of a chimney and my 80cm dish on top (stop laughing! I had to do it that way to see over some trees). It flexes slightly in the wind - and whenever I step the motor. I've reinforced it with angle iron and jubilee clips and filled it with expanding foam, but that doesn't completely solve the problem.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I reckon the best thing is a roadsign pole. It's just a question of how to obtain one without upsetting the local council :D. Failing that, I was thinking about a section of cast iron drainpipe. Just some alternatives you could consider.

I guess that aluminium scaffold would be OK in a shorter length, if fixed top and bottom to prevent it from flexing.

Phil.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A small piece of scaffolding pole would be fine, you can use a heavy guage aluminium pole for that type of mount, as there is little chance of it moving with such a short length. The scaffold pole shouldn't be very heavy for a short length and of course the brackets will be strong enough to take the weight.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
That's a nice looking installation in the picture Rolfw. Is it your own system or one you've done for sombody else?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just a little Raven 70cm Gemini on an SG-2100, pretty much my standard pick of equipment for a low profile multisat installation, this one for 28E, 19.2, 16, 13, 5, 1W 12.5 and 30W. My personal installation is an 80cm transparent dish (See the Member's Setups thread) and doesn't look very tidy, as I lashed it up as a temporary measure and never went back to it.. :D

There are neater looking brackets than the T&K, but it is pretty much the easiest for obtaining a perfectly plumb mast. :)

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
If not, we have a site opposite my office and I'm sure I could ask nicely for a short pole ;-).

New 3m long galvanised steel scaffold poles from my local SGB are less than £9trade (I just quote a firm that I used to work for and pay cash), 1m and 2m lengths are also available. The aluminium scaffold poles are 6m long and will not fit into my van and I do not fancy cutting one up on the roadside.

Not a great expense to get a good strong mounting pole if you compare that with the thin aluminium masts sold by B&Q and aerial suppliers.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Have seen some about 4ft long on a rack on the site.

Don't fancy cutting a pole at SGB or trying to get a 3m one into my car.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all your help.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Decided to contact SGB who were very helpful and said I could have a scaffolding pole no problem.

Went to get it, and it turns out the U or V bolts (not sure what's the correct name) with the mount are 40mm and the poles are wider - so no luck.

I am going to try another source today, may have to find larger U/V bolts as the mount has slots and will take the larger bolts.

If a job's worth doing...

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Simba27 said:
It flexes slightly in the wind - and whenever I step the motor. I've reinforced it with angle iron and jubilee clips and filled it with expanding foam, but that doesn't completely solve the problem.
Sounds like you need some guy wires! Might be wise if it's that exposed anyway...

JW Hardy have some basic stuff for 2" masts here :-

h**p://www.jwhardy.co.uk/shop/pages/pl_ant_brackets.htmlhttp://www.jwhardy.co.uk/shop/pages/pl_ant_brackets.html

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
Found this on maplin.co.uk

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=918&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=8m10

A 10ft Aluminium mast that comes in 5 seperate pieces
Your brackets will fit this

Or how about

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11b.htm

Poles are near the bottom of the page

I copied RolfW's setup completely and bought everything from satcure.co.uk
very reasonable and next day delivery.
Far easier to install with a t and k bracket and pole that wall mount

I'll post a picture when I've tarted up my setup a bit as I want to spray the brackets so they blend in with the wall.

Just helping out

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks longstockings

My local B&Q warehouse are doing a six feet aluminum pole 40mm diameter for £10.98 so looks like that's the one.

Shame as I only need about 1 meter.

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Hi guys,

I have the B&Q 6 foot aluminium pole, and while seems pretty lightweight, does seem to be fairly solid with my 80cm steel dish (from Lidl). It certainly doesn't move in the winds we have had lately.

I only needed about two feet, but being lazy, just used the whole thing with the excess below the bracket. If you are close by, you are welcome to half of it?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
kungpo said:
If you are close by, you are welcome to half of it?

Thanks for the offer, but I don't want you falling off a ladder trying to cut the bottom off!

I might cut down the wifes' clothes dryer as the pole on that is just the right diameter ;-)

It'll still work only it'll be 3 feet off the ground! I'm sure she won't mind!

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
All the T & K brackets that I have ever purchased, from various suppliers, came complete with 60mm "U" blots which are large enought to take scaffold poles.

The 40mm "U" bolts are basically for holding TV aerial masts to chimney brackets. They need to be persuaded to go round a scaffold pole, this can be done with a little work. But no problem for us who did a stint in the REME:)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
The bracket came from Maplin complete with 40mm U bolts.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Problem with the 40mm U Bolts is that they don't offer enough adjustment, the larger ones will offer you 10mm in either direction to get the pole plumb. A local aerial installer will probably help you out with bigger ones, or perhaps even Halfords, sold as Exhaust clamps.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Try Halfords tomorrow - next to B&Q.

Only thing is, if I get the larger bolts it's back to SGB for the pole, boy is this getting complicated.

Then you can all look forwad to.... can't get the dish to scan the arch - questions.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
gameboy said:
It'll still work only it'll be 3 feet off the ground! I'm sure she won't mind!
Your dish will be easy to work on if it's only 3 feet of the ground, but how is your Mrs. going to feel about having to climb onto the roof to put the washing out?