Police chief forced to write off 1,000 speeding fines

N

net1

A Chief Constable has admitted his force has had to make a U-turn and write off almost 1,000 speeding fines.

Motorists reacted angrily after Derbyshire Police caught 810 drivers breaking a temporary speed limit through roadworks on the A5111 Raynesway, in Derby.

Many had been observing the usual 50mph speed limit on the route, and said they were unaware that a 30mph restriction had been put in place.

Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership - a body made up of police, local councils and the Highways Authority - said signs were put up, and fixed penalty notices were being issued.

But Derbyshire Chief Constable David Coleman said the fines would be scrapped because of the confusion.

He said: "In the interest of fairness and natural justice I accept that some confusion has been caused by the road signs.

"I am taking the very unusual step of withdrawing the fixed penalty notices issued during the specific enforcement period between April 28 and May 6."

Work is being done to make sure that temporary speed limit signs on the route are displayed more prominently.

Mr Coleman addded: "I want to make it clear that the speed restriction on Raynesway is necessary to protect the workforce and other road users and will be enforced rigorously in the future."

Police said motorists who had been issued with a fine would receive a cancellation notice within the next two weeks.

I work that out at about 5 grand a day not a bad days work..........