polish FTA help for noob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE
My Location
SOUTH WEST UK
hi folks, i want to get something setup to receive Polish FTA. I'm based in South West UK, near Bristol.

I'm quite new at all this as have never even had SKY, but thats not something i want anyway. I have done a bit of research though & it seems most of the channels are on Hotbird 13E & Astra.

So, i'm guessing that i need something like the following

A) a 90cm dish (not sure if some models are better than others ?)
:cool: Decent FTA Receiver
C) a way of switching between Astra & Hotbird without having to go outside and change the position of the dish

i've heard that the Technomate 1500CI is a good FTA Receiver for this type of thing, is that correct & can it support the switching ? I have read that some people bought a Monobloc LNB to do the switching, while some have a twin LNB, or is this the same thing ?

Any help would be really good & does anyone know a good source to buy the equipment ? I'm assuming that a local satellite services guy could hep set this up for me.

cheers in advance

:)

J

Jeff_19341

Monobloc LNB is 2 lnb's in one housing giving 6degrees separation. Single co-ax cable to your receiver. The receiver does the switching from satellite to satellite.
Twin LNB's, as stated, 2 co-ax cables to a Diseqc switch and single co-ax cable from switch to receiver.
With twin LNB's you will need a special bracket for your dish to hold the two single LNB's
THe technomates will cover both oprtions.
Look at the advertisers on this board for suppliers, or failing that take your chances on fleabay.

Click on http://www.flysat.com/tv-pl.php for list of FTA channels in Polish.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE
My Location
SOUTH WEST UK
thanks for the info & list of channels

think a Monobloc LNB is probably the easiest option by the sound of it

I assume the list of FTA channels is for digital FTA and not analogue ? Well.. of course the Technomate is a digital receiver i know.... but i'm just checking to make sure before I buy :)

J

Jeff_19341

Yes, that receiver is a digital one. Mine is a TM5000DA and picks up digital and analogue, hence DA.
Also the monobloc will give you reception on 13' & 19'east with the receiver automatically changeing between those two satellites when you have your dish set up.
A couple of pics showing typical 13* & 19* set up. The dish is focused on 13*east. IE the clamped part of the monobloc picks up signals from 13*east.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE
My Location
SOUTH WEST UK
ok thanks

finally, that list of FTA channels you posted the link for.... thats ones i could definitely get if i had a digital receiver and not analogue yeah ?

J

Jeff_19341

TVN on 13*east is analogue, all the rest shown on 13 & 19*east are digital.
As you are near Bristol you could try H I S A T who supply and install, I understand.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Although I'd prefer much bigger dishes if I could get away with it, you should be able to pick up Astra 1 and Hotbird easily with a dish smaller than 90cm at your location. IMHO an 80cm dish would be sufficient and have enough margin for rain fade.

Disclaimer: I've never tried setting up any dish of any size in Bristol so take what I say as pseudo "theory" not practical experience! I have set up a beaten up 80cm Astra/Hotbird dish in north Hampshire though and it worked well with analogue (it were a few years ago) and you can get away with murder with digital! Plus there's more powerful transponders at 19.2e and 13e now.

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
I know a polish guy down south whos using a 64cm dish for hotbird 13.0E he gets all polish fta chans just fine.

kurwa mac! :p

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Jeff_19341 said:
TVN on 13*east is analogue, all the rest shown on 13 & 19*east are digital.
As you are near Bristol you could try H I S A T who supply and install, I understand.

TVN analogue probably wont be around much longer - theres no announced transfer date from Hotbird 1 to Hotbird 7A, and HB1 will be moving away from 13E later in the year.