Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I am confused now as the PC brigade seem to me to be a little two faced in their interpretation of this tripe.

Schools and colleges are not allowed to call the wall boards they write on 'black boards' they have to refer to them as 'white boards', but surely that is just as politically incorrect? especially if they are actually black in colour!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Not that there too many of them around nowadays (Health & Safety because of the dust I think) but blackboards are now known as chalkboards.

Whiteboards are, well, just whiteboards.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Paul's right. I have a catalogue where the black boards are called chalk boards.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Chalk board is more of an americanism than PC related, I bet it wont be long before they rename "Politically Correct" to something smartarsey... :-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
So nobody is allowed to called a black board a black board because that offends blacks but yet we are being asked to call white boards white boards and it is not going to offend anyone. Also health and safety do not allow chalk boards anymore for health reasons and encourage the use of white boards with toxic felt tip pens containing all sorts of exotic halucinogenic subtances like toluene etc?........ when is Mr Branson going to finish that space rocket out of here?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Do you remember that great film ... sixtys I think. Chalkboard Jungle.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Topper said:
So nobody is allowed to called a black board a black board because that offends blacks but yet we are being asked to call white boards white boards and it is not going to offend anyone. Also health and safety do not allow chalk boards anymore for health reasons and encourage the use of white boards with toxic felt tip pens containing all sorts of exotic halucinogenic subtances like toluene etc?........ when is Mr Branson going to finish that space rocket out of here?

So, if the word "Black" offends people, then what colour is my cat??? :confused

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sod Pc'ness. I still call the blackboards in my workplace blackboards. Theres still a few around although most have been replaced long ago due to the dust from the chalk on health grounds

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I've got the impression that some people avoid the use of the word 'black' around black people because they think all black people will immediately take offence to any use of the word and call them racist. Now if that type of stereotyping isn't racist, I don't know what is.