Hopeless

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish: 120cm
LNB: Edision TL-6
Receiver: Siemens Gigaset
My Location
Rosenheim, Germany
I am experiencing problems receiving UK freesat channels (ITV/BBC) in the evenings. Reception is fine in the afternoon with good signal and low BER from Astra 28.2. The received signal deteriorates progressively until 21.00hrs when signal no longer any good. This does not apply to BBC News where signal is strong throughout the day.
Do I have a problem with my dish set up, is it due to "atmospherics" or are the BBC/ITV focussing their spot beams in the evening? Please help

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,

Some factual info. BBC News is on the South receiving beam and is why you have no problems with receiving this channel. As for the rest, they are on the spot beam (2D) and would suggest possibly problems with the dish, alignment, dish size, etc.... any of them can cause the problems you have mentioned.

Hopeless

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rosenheim, Germany
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I still don't understand why I should have good reception with the BBC/ITV channnels during the day and not in the evening

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It will be a combination of atmospherics and other factors, it is a well discussed subjects with speculation as to the precise causes, but what you need to do is better align or upgrade the dish/LNB to stop it happening.

Which dish and LNB are you using?

Hopeless

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rosenheim, Germany
Hi and thanks for your feedback. I am using a "cheapo" off the shelf 120cm dish with Edision TL-6 receiver (although I have also used a Kathrein UAS 272 LNB with no discernable difference to reception. Do you have an any alternative recommendations?

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
The poor reception in the evening is due to a daily variation in power output from the satellite. After dark it is on the far side of the earth and receiving less sunlight. There also may be a change in the attitude. It's only a small change but it's is quite noticeable to people on the fringes.
Try a better LNB and/or receiver. Many FTA receivers are poor on Astra 2D, the most sensitive ever made was the Sky Pace 2600 CI.