Poor service from retailers

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
If I have posted in the wrong place, please move.
I have been trying to find a PVR that will handle subtitles well, on asking questions from various net traders I realise how little many of them know the boxes they provide. It seems obvious to me that they rarely, if ever, install and evaluate them. I even telephoned up one who is about 10 miles from my daughter and asked if I could pop in and have a look-see, I was assured that was fine and they would be pleased to help.
On calling in they had to experiment even to switch on the subtitles, and could not find ITV, after a request to return to the front premises and waiting for 10 minutes they came out and said that as ITV had only recently gone FTA it was not yet in the list!(I suspect they had made a telephone call while I waited). If I cared to wait 10 minutes or so they would add it, by now having been there over an hour I decided to give up.
This is the sort of service I expect from the likes of Curry's and Dixon's.
Unlucky or normal?:-humbug

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably normal I'm afraid John, most E-tailers tend to box shift and are forced to cut margins to compete, so testing equipment or acquiring in depth product knowledge are not the highest priority and probably difficult to find time for.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Lol, I wish the e-tailer I'm trying to purchase a TV from would shift something my way.

I ordered a Philips LCD TV from s*vastore a month ago, since when I've had five emails from them, each extending the 'due in' date further ahead. Last email says three weeks hence - a few days before Xmas.

Next email will probably say sometime in 2006.

I've cancelled the order and I'm off to John Lewis. Pricier, but less hassle.

Llew

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
2 things, first I would go to a standard retailer and pay extra if I could find one that sold satellite PVRs, all I can find is ondigital retailers.
secondly when you go to John Lewis (incidently why do peeps put * in names, is it preferred here?) take a printout of your order/price, they may match, also I think they do free extended guarantees. Worth a try.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately, although the market is a reasonable size for satellite PVRs other than Sky, it really isn't mainstream enough for the major retailers.

Regarding the *s, no necessity, but members do it out of habit. :)

Interesting story though, I ordered a 1.4x teleconverter (for digital camera) from an E-tailer on Sunday evening £299, everyone else is around £330, the stock level said plenty, as it still does. Got an E-mail Tuesday, saying out of stock due to high demand, expecting new stock shortly. E-mailed the E-tailer asking when they expect stock, and informed them of my disappointment, as they stated stock "plenty" and I require the lens fairly quickly. Their reply, "it will now be after Christmas".

Sounds like a classic spoiler to me, they are 10% lower in price than everyone else, but then again, they can be when they have none to sell. :)