poor sound/ itv

telly2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have poor sound on itv this afternoon anybody else suffering the same today.All other channals ok

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
telly2 said:
I have poor sound on itv this afternoon anybody else suffering the same today.All other channals ok

Yes i also had same problem on ITV yesterday...(havent checked today)

iceman

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Another problem I have sometimes noticed with ITV is that occasionally the sync between sound and vision goes very badly adrift.

This is a problem with satellite transmission as when I switch to terrestrial it isn't there (or at least only very slightly as per normal).

PaulR

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I also found that when the weather is bad the sync of sound and picture goes. If you zap up or down one channel and then back, this will normally fix the problem. Also if you are watching live TV the sync can be way out. As to why this happens, beats me.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
For live tv such as news programmes I think it's because it takes more processing power to online digitise and squash a video signal than it does an audio signal.

For a pre-recorded (offline) programmes the system can take a fraction longer to make sure the sound and vision are reasonably in sync (although sometimes I think the engineers don't bother).

PaulR

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The sync problem can be generated at one or both ends of the link

PaulR is correct that the compression used can affect the way sound and vision syncronise in the datastream, however the receiver in the house has much work to do by resolving the two outputs to the satisfaction of the viewer, by virtue of the information supplied with the data, which may have errors as a result of low signal (poor weather), increased noise (misaligned or too small a dish/leaky LNB/cable). Then there is the receiver firmware itself - many people will know the problems that continue to plague the cheaper end of the receiver market and likewise Manhattan 2500 and 5500 receivers, the lips move but the sound follows a second later, listening to classical music on these receivers can be a painful experience