Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This made the front page of the local rag the Border Telagraph last week

WALKERS at this weekend’s hiking festival in Selkirk are being warned to watch out for the Bridgelands Beast.

A large black cat was spotted prowling in fields just outside the town on Monday morning.

And experts believe the colossal creature is likely to be a panther.

Dog walker Linda Connor observed the beast as it strolled down through a field adjacent to Spion Kop.

She told the Border Telegraph: “It was pure black and bigger than my dog which is a German Shepherd.

“At first I thought it was a big dog, but as it kept coming down the field I soon realized it was a really big cat – a giant cat.

“I know how big a domestic cat can get but this was twice that size. It was a big powerful looking animal.

“There were sheep in the field and they had all gathered away at the other end.”

Farmer Scott Lambie revealed his flock at the Bridgelands had been acting unsettled over the weekend.

But there are no reports of any kills.

Full story:

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/articles/1/21327

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Maybe they should stick a bowl of Go-Cat out for it to trap it? :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, I think I've seen it. :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• blackbeast.JPG
    blackbeast.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 48

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
It says in the article:
Melanistic leopards –- also known as black panthers – are believed to be reasonably common in forest areas around Scotland and remote north England.
Is this true???

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I did a bit of research yesterday (half an hour on google over lunchtime) and there definitely seems to be evidence that some big cats are thriving in the UK. (Panthers lynx and cougars are the commonest sightings)

Cubs have been spotted more than once so they are breeding happily Humping

Of course areas like the Scottish Borders are ideal for them - plenty of cover in the woods and thickets, the area is mainly farmland with few towns or villages of any size, and theres plenty of food for them from the sheep that roam the hills and the deer that are in the area - deer are a common sighting in the local woodland on my journey to and from Galashiels less than half a mile from the town centre and during wintery spells I have seen their tracks in the snow along the farm track behind our cottage.:D

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
T_G said:
It says in the article:Melanistic leopards –- also known as black panthers – are believed to be reasonably common in forest areas around Scotland and remote north England.

Is this true???

Yep. They are quite a resourceful species. They run a protection racket of 'dish watching' in the borders. Making an absolute mint out of AS. Although with his small dish farm, he considers it to be good value for money.