possible self incrimination

monkeyboy

Reaction score
My Location
uh::no
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Apr-02 AT 07:52 PM (GMT)]Hi guys,I am in possession of a skydigital box that i purchased at a carboot sale.The very nice lady said that it was an out of contract unit and was kosher(surely sky still own the unit?).When I phone up the bbc to initialise my free to view card will they ask me about my box origin because i dont know it or any details etc-if they do is this info logged by sky?Thanx.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Sky do not own any digiboxes,they are the property of the person that first has it installed by Sky,or have bought it unsubsidised,When authorising the ftv BBC card they now dont even ask you details of the receiver,they tell you the card will accept that receiver when the chanels appear,and will then only work with that box....Brian

monkeyboy

Reaction score
My Location
Thanks Dishdoctor.Call them I will-I am only really interested in the free to view german channels on 19.2 but since I have the unit feel obliged to utilise the bbc viewing card(I pay enough for it!)Hopefully Ill be able to pick up the itv stuff as well

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hey Brian, that's interesting, bodes well also for the boys in Ireland who want to utilise two cards, a subscription and BBC FTV.

@ Monkeyboy, seems that would solve your potential problem, it's always slightly worrying buying from a car boot sale, as you're never quite sure if the person has the right to sell the item.

Rolf

monkeyboy

Reaction score
My Location
Evenin Rolfw I must admit that I do have a doubt again about calling up the beeb to initialise my card but if they do not ask for digibox serial number etc surely I must be ok.I would like to ask what is being initialised though by calling them when my card is inserted?

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
It surprised me also,I authorised a BBC card last monday,and all they wanted was my card number and my address,when i asked if they needed the box number,or version number,she said the card would pair up with the box itself.........Brian

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The signal Sky send is to the card only,the card then "reads" the digibox serial number electronicly,and pairs with it.Clever is'nt it!....Brian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Monkeyboy, the card is being initialised, there is a pulse sent out to enable it and pair it to the box.

@ Brian, Sounds like pretty good news anyway, one less hurdle to jump.

Rolf

PS Brian, Are you going to be able to make it to Mediacast?

monkeyboy

Reaction score
My Location
Clever and possibly very handy - thankyou Dishdoctor Have a great weekend(no wonder Mr Sporty hasn,t cracked Sky yet!)

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
RE Mediacast,Its all in the hands of Stelios,If i can get a very cheap return flight Malaga/Gatwick/Malaga,or a deal at this end from one of our local flightshops then i will be there,but i have checked on Easyjet and Go,but nothing less than around 130 pounds,and i only usualy pay around 60 quid,but if anything does turn up i will confirm my appearance (due to public demand) at Mediacast.....Brian

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
@monkeyboy
be aware that the free German channels on 19.2e (Astra1) are on a different satellite than that used for the BBC/etc channels on the Sky Digital platform (the latter transmitting on Astra2 at 28.2e). The digibox is not DiSEqC compatible so unless you intend to manually swap cables from two different LNBs/dishes, the only way to make this work is by using a motorised system. Even then, the digibox really is not suitable for anything other than the standard Sky/BBC fare. It has very poor facilities for scanning and zapping between other channels. You'd be MUCH better off with a cheap generic digital FTA receiver for the 19.2 stuff...

2old

G

groundsman

I have just re-instated an old card for sky with a second hand box.
I phoned the number displayed on BBC. It was the wrong number. It was for SKY ACTIVE. So phoned SKY, told them origonal box was scrap and they matched card to box with version and serial number. Up and running in under an hour.