Possibly a stupid question

william1903

Reaction score
I have an old dish on the wall from a previous analogue set up.

I intend to put a new digital system in.

Can i just replace the reciever with a digibox and reposition the dish or do i need one of the newer smaller dishes?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
No such thing as a stupid question, (except the ones that my wife asks). Use the old one if you want, no point in wasting money.
And William welcome to the forum.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
william1903 said:
Would i need to change the LNB?

Thanks for the welcome:)
Try first and if needs be change LNB :-righton

Regards - Marts

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Depends what you want to receive.

Nowdays a universal LNB will pick up most frequencies. The older LNBs (fitted in the Analogue days) were a bit limited.

If your dish is still up and the LNB in place try it with a FTA receive you may get a surprise! Universal LNBs are about £20 - £30 you get what you pay for.

Lidl were doing one at £3.99 a few weeks back.

william1903

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Depends what you want to receive.
Well i put my old analogue reciever on and got a few German channels but if i put a digibox on would i get the stuff thats FTA on Sky now???

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Do you know what satellite the old dish is/was pointing at?

If it was Sky analogue then the new Sky digital satellites are in a different position. Now at 28.2 deg.

Looks likely that the LNB is ok best bet for FTA is the old Astra position 19.2 deg East or Hotbird which is next door at 13 deg East.

You will get many FTA channels.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
One thing you might need to check if you have problems is the cable from the dish to the receiver.
If it is very old or damaged this might need changing.
Also have you thought about a new coat of paint on that old dish. Just get yourself an aerosol in any colour you fancy, but make sure it is Matt (not gloss, semi-gloss) or you will "cook" your LNB.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
william1903, what sort of channels are you after i.e. English, German, French.
Check out this link www.lyngsat.com/freetv
Then click on Europe and select which country (or countrys) you want
Once you know what channels you need, then it is just a matter of reading which satellites they come from, piece of cake. :cool: