georgefromasda

expert ..... in nothing
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
art card
My Location
liverpool uk
if you have read my constant problem threads (im sorry about them) , you will know i dont get the amount of channels i should get , well i have had a george from asda kind of brainstorm , after looking at the pictures of other users dishes , i noticed that the dish angles (not left to right the up/down) seems higher ( ie my lnb and arm seem to be pretty straight from the dish ) i have done a "great" pic in paint to give you a explaination of what i mean) ;)
basically what i mean is . can my dish be pointing at the satelittes wrong even if it picks up signals (some 100%)
i know im not explaing myself too well but im really clutching at straws

btw i cant find my digi camera sorry

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The dish may appear vertical but the LNB will be pointing at an angle to it.

The signal is received at a mirror of that angle - see diagram

If you're getting 100% signal strength it may be the size of your dish is not big enough. Or the LNB skew.

What channels are you missing?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have seen cases where the boom arm has been bent by someone and is lower than should be, but you would normally get a weak signal in that event.

georgefromasda

expert ..... in nothing
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
art card
My Location
liverpool uk

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Are the all vertical? or horizontal channels?

The LNB may be faulty - you should get a lot more than that!

georgefromasda

expert ..... in nothing
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
art card
My Location
liverpool uk
gameboy said:
Are the all vertical? or horizontal channels?

The LNB may be faulty - you should get a lot more than that!

65 out of 89 dont get a signal
i just dont get it :(

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
i had the same problem and a new lmb sorted it out for the price its worth a try

georgefromasda

expert ..... in nothing
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
art card
My Location
liverpool uk
edit

yeah ill give it a go :(

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Last edited by georgefromasda : 17 Minutes Ago at 07:05 PM. Reason: im a idiot :)

NO YOUR NOT

wolfav is right, that's all it might be:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you are using the Sky box, then the channels that are not using a symbol rate of 22000 or 27500 on the Hot bird satellites will be rejected by the receiver. It's nothing to do with reception, but the firmware in the usual suspects preventing the channels from being received.

There may also be an issue with the FEC (forward Error Correction) on some transponders, or possibly the box itself cannot switch the tone switch of certain LNBs on the market.

Do you have someone nearby with a non Sky box they can loan you ?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
@ CH, I dont think he's using the SKY Digibox on the 1 metre dish.:)

I would seriously look into whether you have bent anything (and that includes the dish and LNB armature).

Being the numbnut that I am, when I setup my Gibertini 125cm dish - it seemed all tooo easy to rotate the dish - by the dish - or by the LNB armature or whatever lazy fancy took me.

I got to realising that the signal levels were dropping off after some days of serious sat hobbying (esp with 16°E - even though there is not much to fancy there) - and it was only when I got a feeling of my numbnutness that I had to later bend the dish back into shape (sic).

Else make sure all the screws you were given are in place: I only say that just in case you are like me:D

Do you have any obvious obstacles in the line-of-sight of the dish?

Certainly follow wolfav's advice and get a new LNB if you haven't already.

Have Fun,

Mark.