Potent Absinthe Mix Stirs Up Controversy

N

net1

Absinthe, the fiery tipple with purported hallucinogenic properties, has stirred up fresh controversy in Britain where it will go on sale in nightclubs and bars next month packaged to be mixed with beer.
"Deco" comes with a small bottle of Kronenbourg lager with a shot of absinthe attached. The idea is to down the 45 percent-strong absinthe and drink the five-percent strength lager as a chaser.

Popularly held responsible for painter Vincent Van Gogh's mutilation of his own ear, absinthe has been banned in many countries but was never outlawed in Britain.

Campaigners for sensible drinking attacked manufacturer Scottish Courage for launching the potent tipple, the latest in a long line of so-called designer drinks.

Charity Alcohol Concern said it was concerned "Deco" would add to the problem of binge drinking among young people.

Scottish Courage said it encouraged the product to be consumed sensibly and said it would not be available off the shelf in supermarkets.

"The actual alcohol content in a Deco is 2.5 units," said David Jones, a company spokesman. "This is actually slightly less than the 2.8 units in a pint of Kronenbourg or lager of similar strength."

Taken with ice water and a lump of sugar, the bitter drink became popular in 19th century Europe. It was distilled with a blend of herbs and was nicknamed "the green fairy" because of its emerald hue.

But many countries banned it after an outcry by the temperance movement amid fears it caused insanity.

Irish writer Oscar Wilde described its devastating kick.

"After the first glass you see things as you wish they were," absinthe lover Wilde wrote. "After the second, you see things as they are not."

"Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world," Wilde concluded.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Ah, but absinthe makes the heart grow stronger

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It was certainly not banned in France, but believ that it was in the UK, it is only recently that you have been able to buy it.

Unfortunately, being able to buy it attached to a bottle of Kroni, will only really appeal to the knuckle heads.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I see things (usually double ) with a reasonable amount of most types of alcohol