Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hello,

So I implemented my declination control bracket and wired everything up. For declination control, I am using a 10" jack arm - but there's a problem. It doesn't have a reed switch. Instead, it has a potentiometer with 3 wires coming out of it. I have never seen this before. Needless to say, it doesn't work with the VBox.

So, I have two options. Change the potentiometer to a reed switch (how - conversion kit?) or use my 18" jack arm, which is an overkill for this purpose. I wouldn't mind shortening the jack arm but I am not sure how. Has anyone done it?

Thanks
CJ

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Years ago I saw an episode of Scrapheap Challenge where they were refurbishing a dustcart. The only tipper piston they could find was too long at maximum extent and would damage the cart so they took the piston assembly apart and put a metal sleeve over the inner "rod" which had the effect of shortening the opening.

Would this work for you?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Well, the length itself isn't a problem - it's just it would be too heavy and over the top for what I needed it for.

Anyway, I ordered a new 8" jack now, which should hopefully do the job.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I think that instead of using short actuator is better to use long one. Just mounting points should be adjusted properly. But hen you could control elevation more precisely.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I think that instead of using short actuator is better to use long one. Just mounting points should be adjusted properly. But hen you could control elevation more precisely.
That is impossible with my design as the actuator needs to be short enough to go past the mast. The only other way to deal with that is to put the actuator above the mast (or over complicate the design with some sort of pivoting system, or actuator that doesn't push directly).

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Mine is over the dish and 10 works but I only need around 2 inches of travel to switch between c band and ku band lnb

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4