Power Draw From Jaeger 1224 Motor ?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

Can anyone please advise me of the power draw from a Jaeger 1224 motor when moving a dish? Also, are there power draw spikes when it commences moving a dish?

I was testing a fairly old 1224 with a couple of old Echostar receivers (DV7000 and LT8700) and noticed that the motor cable seemed to be getting quite warm when moving the dish East-West a good few times. Is this normal or could it be that the old Jaeger 1224 is drawing excessive power or my motor cable is not so good?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Draws about 35W at the input side of the V-box (240V) while the motor is moving. So if the V-box channeled all that power to the motor you are looking at about 1A (at 36V).

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Draws about 35W at the input side of the V-box (240V) while the motor is moving. So if the V-box channeled all that power to the motor you are looking at about 1A (at 36V).

I am not using a V-Box with Diseqc, I am using the internal 36v positioner of the DV7000 and the LT8700 receivers, will this add to the power draw or will it be the same? Does anyone know what the power draw is when using a receivers 36v internal positioner rather than a V-Box linked to Diseqc?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It's the same. Power is drawn by the motor and if the receiver/positioner can supply it, it will. A receiver will not give more "power" to the motor than it needs, as long as the voltage is 36V.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's the same. Power is drawn by the motor and if the receiver/positioner can supply it, it will. A receiver will not give more "power" to the motor than it needs, as long as the voltage is 36V.

So it would be around 1 amp current, 35W power according to the figures from "Huevos".

Hmm, I cannot see why that would make the motor cable get warm, it's quite a low draw, I think I need to try some other cable?

Thx for the input so far, most appreciated

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What would the new cable do? If too much current was flowing through the cable, they would get warm - don't worry about currents and cables, I really don't think that's your problem.

In fact, maybe it's normal for it to get warm? It's driving a huge, heavy dish, so I am not really surprised.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The cable gets warm due to ohms law.

It's resistance is too much for the amount of current flowing, hence it gets warm. You are dissipating power into it.

You need thicker cable

Pretty sure that cables are not supposed to get warm.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
What cable are you using?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sorry, I misread the original post. I was thinking that the motor was getting warm, not the cable. Yes, you need a thicker cable...

Apologies for the confusion. (I blame the new font on this forum :p)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I've never checked to see if the cable was warm but I've used a 4core cable with thicker wire for the motor power and thinner wire for the motor sensor with my 1224.

It's the vbox, I have noticed that gets warm as I have my receivers stacked with spacing between but still kicks out heat.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thx for the replies, I am using a piece of 4 core cable that I found in the loft with blue, orange, white with orange stripe and white with blue stripe cores but I am not sure of the spec. It's not the same cable that I have on my main motorised dish which is the old flat ribbon cable from years ago for multi sat with polariser, motor and LNB cables in separate sheaths of the flat ribbon.

The cable I am using for this test with the old 1224/dish/decoders is just a "normal" piece of black 4 core cable with all cores the same diameter. Is that no good and can anyone let me know what cable I should get if it is no good? I am not sure if this stuff is OK for outdoors, nobody seems to make the old 4 core with thicker cores for the motor and thinner cores for the sensor?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Do you know what gauge it is? Or maybe a picture of the wire?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Do you know what gauge it is? Or maybe a picture of the wire?

I am not sure of the guage, it might be 0.5 mm or less, actually, I got the colours wrong, it is orange, blue, white with orange stripe and white with blue stripe, I was getting confused with another bit of wire I was thinking of buying. I will upload a pic if I can get one onto my PC

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Orange, Blue, White & White with Strip sounds more like a signal cable of some type (phone etc.) rather than something that is also intended to carry even modest appliance currents.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Alarm cable perhaps?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
OK, got a picture, I cut a section off the cable and have attached it.

If the cable is no good can anyone recommend something I should be using suitable for a Jaeger 1224 motor connected to a 36v internal positioner on on LT8700 or DVR7000 receiver? I assume I need a grade of cable for outdoor use as it will be covered with a few inches of shingle for part of the run?

Thx

Attachments

• DSC_00051.JPG
    DSC_00051.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 72

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
To be honest, I use a very similar but multi-braided one :-ohcrap :blush: But mine drives a jack arm rather than the whole polar mount (probably takes less power).....

I'll leave this one to the pros.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@moonbase: Well I can't positively ID that (although the Captain might be on to something), but it doesn't look unduly flimsy, as it happens.

Nevertheless, you need to consider what Robbo said earlier about I² × R (Heating losses as derived from Ohm's Law for a conductor of resistance R) >> "Bigger" cable = lower R = lower I² × R for a fixed I (where I = Motor Current)

It is unlikely that the motor is drawing more than it's design current, so really it must be that the cable isn't man enough for the job.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On the assumption that the cable is not up to the job can anyone please provide a link to a suitable cable type or let me know what I should use?