Premium dialler fraud hits 5,000 users a month

N

net1

Up to 5,000 consumers a month are being hit by a scam involving premium rate diallers being covertly downloaded to their PC from activities as innocuous as clicking a pop-up ad or opening an email.

The unprecedented level of the crisis has led to worries that outside regulation could lead to the use of diallers being banned altogether.

Although diallers - which disconnect from a consumer's normal Internet connection to re-dial a premium number to bill for a service - are most heavily used in the adult industry, they're also employed by mainstream content providers like sport and music download services.

Premium rate regulator Icstis said it's receiving over 5,000 calls a month related to the problem. These Trojan diallers are sent to users behind emails and as attachments, and are activated by actions such as clicking on a pop-up ad.

'Other European countries have banned diallers outright,' said Icstis spokesman Rob Dwight. 'This fraud has to stop.'

Icstis is in discussions with both the Government and police on tackling the issue, as well as all the ISPs.

'A lot of consumer education needs to take place on how premium rate services work online, so we're in talks with everyone from AOL to Wanadoo,' said Dwight.

Icstis is working closely with the telco networks that play a crucial role in the billing of these services.

At Carphone Warehouse-owned Opal Telecom, head of premium rate services Tony Couch said, 'Everyone needs to take responsibility, from the telcos to the service providers, and we need to act before outside regulation is forced.'

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Being on cable broadband, I'll take all the diallers they can throw at me.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm still on dial-up and have had all premium rate numbers blocked by BT.

This is a free service but no a lot of people realise it exists as (surprisingly!) it's not much publicised by BT. Could it be, perhaps, because of the rake-off that they get from every premium rate call placed over their lines?

Perish the thought.

PaulR

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
same here in spain, i´ve been had these last two bills for 60 euros which is mild to some people. i called telefonica to complain, nothing they could do was the answer and they would not give me the name of the company! its been in the papers here too, and turns out they sell the premium numbers just like bt. i´m just waiting for my next bill to see if i´ll get done this time. better not. rob43

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
The only trouble I ever get with diallers is with spanish web sites! I've just had to get one off my computer - three viruses detected by AVG and 109 odds and sods removed by lavasoft, after one visit to a news website.

I'm on broadband too and whilst I have a backup modem I never leave it plugged in.

I'm probably not up to date with my windows security patches ...