Pro fessor penrose

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
Professor Penrose is a pal of mine at oxford i wounder if i should ask him.

regards mikeey

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Wot, the Sir Roger Penrose?
I've got one of his books here.
It once purported to explain everything from the nature of reality to consciousness, but ended up propping up my monitor. Damned good read. And sturdy.
2old

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
Thanks 2old,but young in the mind you are put the book back where it belongs on your book case,because when anyone of your pals come in to see you,they will no that you are someone.

Take care 2old.

regards mikeey

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Is that 'The Emperor's New Mind', 2Old? I thought 'Brief History of Time' hard going, but ENM left me feeling completely inadequate. But I agree, it would look much more impressive on the bookcase!

wolsty

:cool:

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
That's the one.
But you should try "Metamagical Themas" or "Godel, Escher Bach" by Douglas Hofstader. A few copies of those and a couple of sandbags saved the old city of Prague in the recent flood.
2old

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I've read Godel, Escher and Bach and enjoyed the bits of it I could understand. I even went out and bought the CD's of 'A Musical Offering' and 'The Art of Fugue' to see if I could understand what Hofstadter was saying about canons and fugues; I continue to enjoy them, though. I didn't know of 'Metamagical Themas'; I'll put it on my Christmas present list in the hope that one of my kids, who are all avid fans of amazon.co.uk, will treat me. Have you tried Roger Penrose's 'Shadows of the Mind'? It's a sort of sequel to ENM and contains loads of rebuttals of the criticisms aimed at ENM by advocates of Strong AI. SOTM is just as impenetrable as ENM, but in a more irascible tone.

My copies, to the eternal irritation of my wife, just clutter up the bedroom and have never been used for any socially worthwhile function such as flood prevention.

No one took me up on the post, so I'll mention it again. Have you read Simon Singh's 'The Codebreakers'? An excellent book with plenty of food for thought but, strangely, no mention of the encryption of broadcasts.

wolsty

:confused

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Haven't read either of those. SOTM is right up my street though. I'll look it up.

My bookcase is overflowing with books on consciousness, mind, Schoedinger's Cat, etc. I've been trying to understand the nature of reality ever since my uni days when our quantum physics tutor told us there was a finite (albeit vanishingly small) chance a tennis ball would pass through a wall rather than bounce off it.

One day all that information will coalesce and I'll discover something astounding like a seventeen-dimensional bookcase.

2old

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I once lost a CD after taking it out of the case. I had it in my hands and then it completely disappeared. Drove me nuts for days as I turned the whole place upside down

The seven years later I take up a floorboard to replace the central heating pipes and there it is. Distance between boards was about a CD width, and it must have dropped the four feet or so and gone in absolutely straight as it did not make a noise.

So I would tend to believe the discount tennis ball theory as there may be a hole just big enough

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
This all could follow on from my posting in sleepy hollow,regarding David Beckham ,who,by chance could have a hole in his ozone

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Ah, but would it happen with a concrete floor, CH?

wolsty

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
If you're looking for more dimensions, 2Old, try Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe'. It's a plain man's (ie me) guide to String Theory or, as it now seems to be, M(embrane) Theory. You can choose between 10 or 11 dimensions according to the version which you find most plausible. Mind you, I'm not sure that these extra dimensions would help with a book case, as they're rolled up to smaller than the Planck length. But I'm sure they'll be of use to someone.

wolsty

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I'm tempted to go for 10 dimensions and wait for the price to drop a bit before taking the eleventh. Trouble is I just know they'll be up to about fifteen by then and have withdrawn support on thirteen & lower. Decisions decisions.
It was the same when Schrödinger's Cat came out. What did I do? Went and got myself a dog.

Did you know Planck's length is only 1.6 * 10**-33 centimeters?
I'd have kept it quiet if it were me.

2old

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
So my wife is right? Size does matter, especially when dealing with extremely small items.

wolsty

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
It filled Galileo with mirth
To watch his two rocks fall to Earth.
He gladly proclaimed,
"Their rates are the same,
And quite independent of girth!"

Then Newton announced in due course
His own law of gravity's force:
"It goes, I declare,
As the inverted square
Of the distance from object to source."

But remarkably, Einstein's equation
Succeeds to describe gravitation
As spacetime that's curved,
And it's this that will serve
As the planets' unique motivation.

Yet the end of the story's not written;
By a new way of thinking we're smitten.
We twist and we turn,
Attempting to learn
The Superstring Theory of Witten!

(by Bruce Elliott - see http://www.aps.org/apsnews/11855.html)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
What poetry! And yet there are still people who believe that scientists are illiterate nerds who lack any artistic or creative skills! Incredible, isn't it?

wolsty

:rolleyes:

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
And there's more:

My favourite graffito:

'Heisenberg was probably right.'

My head hurts. I think I'll go and watch a costume drama on tv.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Driven to browsing the Internet by the womenfolk who're watching some American girly version of 'The Taming of the Shrew' on our (only) widescreen tv, I came across the following. In your search for more dimensions, 2Old, could this site be of use?

http://superstringtheory.com/

Always happy to increase entropy.

wolsty

)(-)(

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
I like what you say, that is greatbut you have got t remember doses that is the same as E = mc sqare. i will get back to you.

regards mikeey

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
The most aspects of the string theory is thatit seems to encude gravity automatically with in the same frame workk

as the other forces of nature

regards mikeey

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
I have a hunch that the hunt for the graviton is going to prove even more demanding than the search for the keys to Conax, Videocrypt, Seca II, Irdeto II and Viaccess II combined. But, Mikeey, if you ever find it, you'll be sure of a Nobel Prize!

wolsty