Website
www.mps-solutions.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
HTPC
Broadlogic PCI
My Location
Liverpool
Hi all

Been lurking around for a couple of weeks now on lots of different forums to see if I am missing anything :-doh2

I have set up a HTPC with both a DVB-C and DVB-S card. I have an existing Sky dish hooked up to the DVB-S card (I think its a mini dish?) and have sucesfully installed ProgDVB.

I have done the channel search etc and get a few channels such as BEEb 1 etc. loads of other channels to which are scrambled and the occasional european channel.

I am presuming I am picking up the Astra Dish (19o - how do you do the degrees symbol on a PC?:confused). My question is what else (if anything) should I expect to see? Is there a definitive list anywere?

Also I have been looking at installing a second LNB which I think would allow me to pick up both Hotbird (13) and Astra (19) - is this correct and if so how hard is it to change?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome to the forum. :)

If you are receiving BBC1, then you have Astra 28.2° East not Astra 19.2° East, you can get both of these and Hotbird 13° East on one dish with three LNBs and a DiseqC switch, but it won't be easy on a minidish, you would be better with something like a Raven Gemini 70cm with offset ?LNB brackets.

Go to www.liyngsat.com for what is available on the different satellites.

PS. The degree symbol is obtained by keeping the ALT key depressed whilst typing 0176 on your righthand numeric keypad.

piercy007

Reaction score
Website
www.mps-solutions.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
HTPC
Broadlogic PCI
My Location
Liverpool
Thanks for the quick reply.

I dont really want to put up a larger dish (the wife Humping would never understand :) )!! and as ever I am on a budget. Was toying with the idea of getting an extra dish but can I then recieve all 3 signals into one card? I know that ProgDVB will allow for multiple but can you get hardware to allow this?

Can I still replace the LNB with a double head and re-align the existing dish? If so how hard is it to then pick up Astra 19° (had to copy that as the alt 0176 didnt work?) and Hotbird 13° - as these seem to be popular - or can stay on 28° and is there anything within 6° of that which I could then pick up?

Lots of question - sorry

piercy007

Reaction score
Website
www.mps-solutions.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
HTPC
Broadlogic PCI
My Location
Liverpool
Just found a signal combiner that would allow me to do this i.e. set up another dish at 19° with duel LNB then send all 3 signals from LNB's to a single reciever.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it is a signal combiner, it will not work, you will just end up with a lot of noise. You can cobble a standard 6 degree Monobloc LNB (not dual LNB, this is something entirely different) onto a Sky minidish, there is an LNB holder designed for this. You would need to use Astra 19.2° as your main focus, with Hotbird as the offset, but it would not be the most robust of signals.

Sateuropa.co.uk do a compact dish with a four LNB cluster and integral DiseqC switch, this would get you Astra 2, Astra 1, Hotbird and Astra 3 at 23.5 East.

Your receiver would be able to switch this automatically.