Problem aligning sky satellite dish to Astra 28

sajidghori

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MK4 Sky satellite Dish + Quad LNB + sky +HD receiver
My Location
Fulham, London
I need help as I couldn't set-up my sky dish according to the (Astra 28) satellite data given by the Dishpointer & also using digital satellite finder meter.

I live in Fulham, London (UK). I have MK4 sky satellite dish (zone 1) + quad LNB with Sky+ HD receiver, which was working fine as it was set by one of the Sky engineer, later I cancelled my contract with sky but I was receiving basic channels. I changed my house & in the new house I set my sky dish according to the (Astra 28) satellite data given blow by Dishpointer then I finally tuned with digital satellite finder meter but still I am not receiving any signal.

Dish Setup:

Name: 28.2E ASTRA 1N | ASTRA 2A | ASTRA 2B | ASTRA 2D
Distance: 39038km

Dish Setup Data:

Elevation: 25.4°
Azimuth (true): 145.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 146.8°
LNB Skew: -13.2°

I have no idea what's going wrong, receiver box looks fine so the LNB but only thing I was thinking is that this device operates in 52-60 dB range & If my LNB operating range is over 60dB range (which I don't know how to check) then I have to insert a 5dB attenuator,

How would i know the operating range of my LNB?

From where i will get 5dB attenuator?

Please help me

[warning]Formatting fixed & Link removed[/warning]

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I shouldn't worry about Attenuators.

The problem will be alignment.

When you set the Elevation, did you take into account that the LNB arm is offset?

ie Dish face should be more or less vertical

And as you simply cannot set the dish precisely according to calculated figures anyway, you still need to adjust both azimuth and elevation in small increments to achieve alignment.

Attachments

• Offset Dish.jpg
    Offset Dish.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 117

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PS: I've also deleted your Duplicate Thread: As a new Member, your Posts are placed in a Moderation queue until such time as a member of staff can approve them, so please be patient and don't Post duplicates!

sajidghori

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fulham, London
1. LNB arm is already offset as its pre-set by providers (Sky)
2. Dish is almost vertical
3. I have tuned it fine with digital satellite finder meter

.... but still now success

in addition there are some question if you can help me please

1. How would I check that the Sky + HD receiver box & Quad LNB are functional & working fine? (which I am quite sure they are)
2. As digital satellite finder meter shows very strong signals, how to check which satellite its pointing to? & how to get Astra 28.2E to get fta sky channels?

sorry for duplication as I couldn't find proper section which I found later & it made a duplication

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
If your satellite meter is registering a strong signal then your LNB is working. You are probably right, in your assumption, and you are pointing at a different satellite.
Try using our dishpoiter app, to see where you should be pointing your dish:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dishpointer.php

Select Astra 2, 28.2E and then enter your location, try your postcode, and zoom in.

sajidghori

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fulham, London
@Mickha: you didn't read my post properly, I wrote that I set up my dish according to the information given by dishpointer alignment tool

my Sky + HD box is showing following information

Network ID: 79770C
Transport Stream: 07D4

Would anybody please tell me the which satellite it is? and how far OR near I am from (Astra 2)?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
sajidghori said:
@Mickha: you didn't read my post properly, I wrote that I set up my dish according to the information given by dishpointer alignment tool

my Sky + HD box is showing following information

Network ID: 79770C
Transport Stream: 07D4

Would anybody please tell me the which satellite it is? and how far OR near I am from (Astra 2)?

Dishpointer is only a guide ................ with major Satellite positions generally separated by no more than 3 degrees, it is very easy for even slight errors in mounting and initial setting to result in you being on the wrong bird.

That said, the 07D4 Transport Stream is correct for 28E, although the Network ID should be 0002.

Can you tell us more about the box: Exact Make/Model (odds on it's a Thomson) and how old. Also, bought or otherwise acquired new, or second hand.

sajidghori

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fulham, London
Thanks a lot Tivu & others, I finally manage to fix my dish on Astra 28.2E, the problem was LNB skew, as soon I set it, it came like charm

Thanks a lot every one for the help & support

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well done - and you are very welcome.