My Satellite Setup
DN 7020
Gemini 4
Channel Master 1.2
VBOX II
Jaeger 1224 Motor
My Location
IRELAND
I know this was asked several times but the information is not helping me..
Setup:
DM 7020
Gemini 3.30
Necamd 6.10
Camd3.881a

I have the DB for 2-3 weeks now. When I got the DB it had the orginal image on it (ENigma) and I used to browse to the device using \\192.168.0.220 and play the recordings from there. With the new image Gemini 3.30 this is not an option. If I type in \\192.168.0.220 I get network cant be found. If I type in \\192.168.0.220\root apopup box appears but I dont know the username or password. Ive tried usernames like root, dreambox, gemini and passwords like none, db, root, admin, dreambox etc.
Is this an ftp login to the root.
I can telnet, ftp or Http to 192.168.0.220 no problem but I want to be able to play files from DB not download with FTP to pc and play. firstly can SAMBA work for the db 7020 with gemini 3.30, i have tried it but no go, this is what I did.
I downloaded samba.tar.gz from http://dreambox.gamesquad.nl/download/samba.tar.gz. I then FTP'd the file to /var/tmp.
I telneted into the DB to /var/tmp and entered gzip -dc /var/tmp/samba.tar.gz | tar xf - .
I rebooted the box but still could not browse to \\192.168.0.220.
I checked the PS and neither smbd or nmbd were running. I ran them manually from telenet with no errors and still no access.
I also manually installed the files from the zip to the locations and set the permissions on them to read and execute.
I'd like to get this feature working and would appreciate any help.
DFDREAM

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Do You have a router connected ?

and why 192 168 0 220 ? When U set this up in the box then U must go to next menu
and try ti find the mac adress

It is easier to do all this setup using a router so get one if U don´t have it

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
192.168.0.220 is your Dreambox IP address? Is it on the same subnet as your PC?

Have you configured samba to share any folders/ give access to the IP address? (it's been 8 years since I last looked at samba so can't really remember it)?

Gausie

156KG Bencher
Reaction score
Website
www.gausie.com
My Satellite Setup
New Dreambox 7025, crap telly, zone 2 dish with twin hi output LNB, Broadband, blue card, yellow house.
My Location
London NW
Sounds like mhku has hit the nail pretty squarely.

I seem to recall the need to create a SAMBA user and assign rights to the directory you want to work with. I suspect a linux guide would be your best bet.

G

(ps I use a slightly different solution - I record from the DB to an NFS share on another server that is available to all LAN users - it achieves the objectives you describe, plus avoids the need to put a noisy hot and power hungry drive in the dreambox, allows you to backup easily, and adding more capacity is a doddle. )

dfdream

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DN 7020
Gemini 4
Channel Master 1.2
VBOX II
Jaeger 1224 Motor
My Location
IRELAND
DigDeep, why do I need a router. They are connected to a switch and I can http and ftp and telnet to the dreambox.

MKHU, Have you configured samba to share any folders/ give access to the IP address? What do you mean ?

Update after I realised I needed a samba.conf file.
I was using the information on this link.
_http://www.sat-industry.net/forums/a...hp/t-5033.html
Is there a Step by step instruction for installing Samba on the gemini 3.30 image.
I downloaded samba from _http://dreambox.gamesquad.nl/download/samba.tar.gz

I have noticed that the libnsl.so and libnsl.so1 files have zero size is this correct.

Here Is my SAMBA FILE.

I created a file called smb.conf (or is it smb.cnf) and added this text:

[global]
log file = /hdd/log/log.%m
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
netbios name = Dreambox
server string = Dreambox
username map = /etc/user.map
guest ok = yes
guest account = root
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = none
security = share
interfaces = 192.168.0.24 (I changed this to the IP address of the box)
workgroup = ork (I changed this to my workgroup)
debug level = 0
os level = 0

[hdd]
comment = HDD on Dreambox
writeable = yes
path = /mnt/hdd
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = root, nobody, rioh
allow hosts = 192.168.0.

[root]
comment = Root on Dreambox ( Attention ! )
path = /
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = root, nobody, rioh
allow hosts = 192.168.0.

Is there any thing else i should change.

Even though I installed samba on the DB usiing the samba.tar.gz file the smbd and nmbd dont appear in ps even after reboot.
If I start them manually with smbd -D and and nmbd -D and check ps again they are not there either.

Is there little experience in this samba stuff there is nothing on the net of any value on it. Why is it not instalable as a plug in.

Surely someone has it worked out.
I see lots of questions about setting it up on Gemini but no answers.

Confused

DFDREAM

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
allow hosts = 192.168.0.

You've set this to your network IP range?

The last time I used samba was on a unix network. Not used it on a Dreambox and I'm not going to so can't help you further.

Please edit your links so they're not live and the first one is broken.

Use _

dfdream

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DN 7020
Gemini 4
Channel Master 1.2
VBOX II
Jaeger 1224 Motor
My Location
IRELAND
Gausie,

Thanks for that.
That is another option I was going to try as I have another post on the site about interfernece on RF signal when the HDD was recording or spining up or down and want to remove the HDD from the dreambox.
I have a Linksys NSLU2 with 2 x 500gb disks in it and the unlung v6.
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage.
I would link the Dreambox to record onto one of these disks.
The NSLU2 and the Dreambox are both Linux but I am not sure if they are the same format. Is NFS for windows only. how would i use these disks to record to.
This should help with the interference on the RF channel as well and these disks are on all the time where as my pc would not.

Gausie

156KG Bencher
Reaction score
Website
www.gausie.com
My Satellite Setup
New Dreambox 7025, crap telly, zone 2 dish with twin hi output LNB, Broadband, blue card, yellow house.
My Location
London NW
NFS is natively unix/linux. Windows doesnt support it.

You need to publish an NFS share from your Linksys - I dont know how to do that, but perhaps the Linksys forums will help.

Test that it's published by running 'exportfs' on the Linksys - and dont forget to create a 'movies' subdirectory before you start using the PVR features on the dreambox.

The following describes how to connect the Dreambox to an NFS share (I'm slowly writing a user guide - so excuse the assumption that the user knows nothing)

Connecting an NFS drive as an HDD

Use a telnet application to connect to the Dreambox from a PC
Click start->run and enter CMD, in the window that pops up type 'Telnet 192.168.XXX.XXX' to connect (your dreambox IP)
Login using your user name and password

Type 'vi /etc/init.d/bootup'
Use the arrow keys to scroll down until you see the line '# network mounts should be done here' - it will be close to 'echo 80 > /proc/progress'

Press the I key to insert text
enter the line: 'mount -t nfs -o wsize=4096,rsize=4096,nolock 192.168.yyy.yyy:/shared /hdd' (your NFS server IP & share)
press the esc key to stop inserting text

enter ':w' to save
enter ':q' to quit vi

enter 'Exit' to close the telnet session
enter 'Exit' to close the command window