Newbie Here problem LNB???

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung UE32EH5000KXXU; receiver Technomate TM-7102-HD-T2 ; 80cm communal mesh antenna with quad LNB
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
Hi!
I hope this the right spot for this post; I receive certain channels/stations with sound and video for about 30 minutes after switching on the sat. receiver. After this time, first the sound starts to break up and then the video goes - and I'm left with the message "no or bad signal". This appears to be mostly for vertically polarised channels. Is this an indication that the LNB vertical section is failing after it "warms up"? The antenna feeds two apartments; it is an 80cm mesh with a quad LNB; I don't know what goes on in the roof space before the two signals gets to my wall sockets.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Ron

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, this is the right section, Ron!

Now, can you tell us why you've homed in on the LNB as opposed to your Receiver?

eg Is the Occupant of the other Apartment having the same issue, or is it confined to yours?

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung UE32EH5000KXXU; receiver Technomate TM-7102-HD-T2 ; 80cm communal mesh antenna with quad LNB
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
hello Tivù

First, I haven't found out how to adjust my profile: I now have a Technomate Receiver TM 7102-HD and A Samsung TV ue32eh5000 kxxu. I have just noticed this time-out failure, and it is very difficult to arrange a meeting with him - so I have no idea if he has these problems (will ask!!). I thought this might be an LNB problem because horizontally polarised stations seem to be OK and I did not think the receiver could have a vertical/horizontal problem

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
Sorry, must logout now SWMBO has just called "dinner"; I'll be back.!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
hello Tivù

First, I haven't found out how to adjust my profile: I now have a Technomate Receiver TM 7102-HD and A Samsung TV ue32eh5000 kxxu.

Click on your User Name (Top right of page) then Personal Details.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have just noticed this time-out failure, and it is very difficult to arrange a meeting with him - so I have no idea if he has these problems (will ask!!). I thought this might be an LNB problem because horizontally polarised stations seem to be OK and I did not think the receiver could have a vertical/horizontal problem

13v from Box to LNB is needed for Verticals (And 18v for Horizontals): If the output from the box is being loaded excessively, then I suppose it's possible that the LNB voltage could be dragged down below a critical point, but I've not heard of this happening in relation to the box you have.

But that doesn't mean it can't behave that way.

However, a bit more of a process of elimination and information might help home in on the cause of your problem.

So, yes, do speak to your neighbour.

Also, do you still have the Grundig Freesat box? You could try that to see if it behaves the same way.

And it would be good to know the precise arrangement from LNB via Loft to your outlet(s), if it's possible to send a young 'un up to have a look-see.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Just a thought and something to check.

If you are having reception problems with some satellite TV channels, one of the things to check is that it isn't your cordless DECT phone causing it.
DECT Frquencies are 1880 to 1900 MHz
Hi band problems:-
12480 to 12500 MHz (10600 MHz LO) IF is 1880 to 1900 MHz
Lo band problems:-
11630 to 11650 MHz (9750 MHz LO) IF is 1880 to 1900 MHz

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
Thanks for replies so far; food for thought! Currently I receive 484 channels on 28.5E, 269 of which are FTA. I will do another search through to check channels which fail after 30 minutes. Should I be concerned about other wireless devices in our apartment (other than DECT phone - wireless room thermostat, door chimes, remote sensing car keys., PC-printer-BT hub for example?

The Grundig "passed away"; Comet gave me a full refund which I used towards payment for the Technomate. I worked in the electronics industry after I left the navy in 1960, but I must admit, it is hard to keep up with technology re Sat TV, Satnavs, PCs etc. - but we try! My upstairs neighbour has the access top the roof space - so an arrangement is really needed.

Ron

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
By gum, you left the Navy 19 years before I joined!

BT Home Hubs used to have a reputation as an Interference source, but from what you said in your first Post I don't think your problem is interference related as you've already narrowed it down to Polarity, not a small band of frequencies.

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
many thanks for replies and help so far; I did a check on all the vertical stations just after powering up the Technomate - the vast majority were there; after about 30 minutes there was no reception on any of the verticals. What now? would it be possible to remove the two LNB leads and measure the off-load output voltage for both vertical and horizontal channels - I have a digital multimeter. When this current problem is sorted, I want to install a separate 100cm dish (just for me!), and point to 19.2e to pick up German TV; I worked in Germany for a number of years and learnt German by talking and listening to radio and TV. Now I don't get enough practice in the language - so German TV will help. Which leads onto my next question - what are the pros and cons of prime focus and offset dishes?
Ron

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
100cm is an overkill for Astra 1 - a smaller 60cm will do the job just as well. When you are talking dishes that size, only offset are really available, though 90cm PF Precision ones were also made and one is lying in my garage!

The tend to pick up less noise as they are pointing further up the sky and look more "purposeful" but cannot, for example, accommodate multiple LNBs on the same dish - not easy anyway.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Sorry, I can't help with the original issue but for 19.2E you don't need a large dish in the UK. A standard Sky mini-dish would work fine but a 60cm would give you more margin during heavy rain. 100cm would be a bit of an overkill.

Edit: Beaten to it by CJ!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
With regards to your issue, yes, measure the voltage output from your receiver on both polarities after the channels go. I would be inclined to suspect a duff power supply - I've seen this problem a few times on Humax boxes as well as old Sky Thomson receivers. A few new caps usually sorts it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From the symptoms I would say capacitor failure in the rx power supply as well.

You get all sorts of odd problems manifesting when the caps get out of tolerance.

Pop the top off the receiver and have a good look around for bulging or leaking capacitors around the power supply inlet & transformers.(the little cylindrical things with T or K embossed on the flat surface.)

Keep your fingers clear of the circuit board! Look but dont touch! Some of the caps can store enough charge to give you a good belt if you short them......

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
hello everyone

many thanks for the most interesting and helpful ideas and suggestions. unfortunately, my days of rooting around inside kit are long gone! - my hands are not as stable as they used to be! the wife could do it - she was also electronics engineer (we are talking of the days when transistors were king!). however, I could not remove the lid because that would invalidate my warranty. There is no smell of cooked/leaky components, and I have not yet had time to measure the output voltages. I did think I had a break-through the other evening - after two hours viewing, I noticed that the verticals were working again; next day I realised that we had a very cold spell that evening; could this drop in temperature have enabled the vertical part of the LNB to start functioning again? (if indeed it is the LNB that is at fault); I have emailed Technomate suggesting that I have some sort of power supply failure and await their response

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hmm certainly could be the lnb, especially if the oscillator is drifting off tolerance once it warms up

Its a cheap and quick fix to stick a new one on the dish.

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
it seems that I can enjoy the vertical channels if the temperature (of the LN:cool: is low enough! on a few evenings this last week the night time temperature has dropped sufficient for the vertical channels to start operating. Because I have a communal system, I have passed the problem back to the management company. watch this space!!1

once again many thanks

Ron

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah good to hear theres some sort of identification in place.

Please let us know what eventually happens - its always good to get a resolution one way or the other. :)

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
update on my LNB problem: matter passed up to estate managers who have agreed to replace LNB. I made another test - took my TM-7102 to a friendly neighbour who agreed I could "borrow" her satellite antenna. Successful test; the vertical channels remained on for more than an hour - no problem. This all points to the LNB. Technomate are a bit slow in their reply department. Their first response asked if the fault occurred on both channels; not sure how I would find this out. I have not told them about the questionable LNB behaviour.

ron2fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Deepcut, Surrey
p.s. what's a trophy point? Ron