Problem receiving Astra1 (19.2E) channels in the Pyrenees!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
The Hague, The Netherlands
Hello all,

At home, in The Netherlands, I am using a (Vantage HDCS 8000) satellite receiver and a satellite dish of 1 meter with a digital universal single Monoblock with 2 LNB’s, one output (6.2 degrees) for both Astra1 (19.2 E) & Hotbird “Blue HD 2120 NX 0,2dB”. The Dish is aligned to Astra1 (primary focus) and Hotbird (secondary lnb). The signal of both Astra and Hotbird are OK.

In the summer, we are spending our vacation in the French Pyrénées. We are having the same system but with a dish of 80 cm. the signal of the Hotbird is acceptable (bit weaker than at home) but the signal of Astra1 (the Dutch channels) are extremely week, so some time we can watch some channels and some time not. Strange enough, the signal get stronger by using a simple satellite finder between the LNB block and the receiver. The question is: What is the best solution for this problem?

Thanks & regards,

Robert

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Perhaps the LNB is overloading the receiver and the signal meter is attenuating the signal. Maybe the LNB doesn't work well with your receiver. Is the cable run very short? What type of LNBs and receiver are you using?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
1m is massive overkill for 19E! It works fine with 60cm dishes - all the lower power satellites were replaced a few years ago.

My first thought was the signal is swamping the tuner as well.

I use an 80 cm dish at home with no problems, but Ive got long cable runs as the dishes need to be at the end of the garden to see around a belt of trees. The long cable run will attenuate the signal.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
Hello timo_w2s & Analoguesat,

Thank you for your answers.

timo_w2s said:
Perhaps the LNB is overloading the receiver and the signal meter is attenuating the signal.

Do you mean the signal of the LNB is too strong for the receiver to handle? If this is correct then why we can not get good Astra signal when the dish is aligned to Hotbird (primary focus) and Astra secondary lnb? In this case the Astra signal should be weaker than in the case when the Astra is on the primary focus!

timo_w2s said:
Maybe the LNB doesn't work well with your receiver. Is the cable run very short? What type of LNBs and receiver are you using?

The LNB is a digital universal single Monoblock with 2 LNB’s, for more information please see ( Neuling LNB Monoblock Single 6,2° Blue HD 2120 NX HDTV Sat, Kabel & DVB-T LNBs Monoblock Single LNBs ).

The length of the cable is 30 meter. The receiver is Vantage HDCS 8000.

regards,

Robert

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
From your description of your setup it doesn't sound like signal overload should be the problem except that you say if you add the sat meter in-line with the LNB it helps. By adding the sat meter it would reduce the signal a little. Very strange. Perhaps the Astra side of the LNB is faulty or it just doesn't like the receiver.

In the past I've used LNBs that haven't worked well with a particular setup, and also some LNBs that have given too much signal to the receiver if used on a short cable run of 3-4 metres.

Just had another thought, perhaps there is local interference on the frequencies used by the Dutch channels?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
Hello timo_w2s,

timo_w2s said:
From your description of your setup it doesn't sound like signal overload should be the problem except that you say if you add the sat meter in-line with the LNB it helps. By adding the sat meter it would reduce the signal a little. Very strange. Perhaps the Astra side of the LNB is faulty or it just doesn't like the receiver.

In the past I've used LNBs that haven't worked well with a particular setup, and also some LNBs that have given too much signal to the receiver if used on a short cable run of 3-4 metres.

Just had another thought, perhaps there is local interference on the frequencies used by the Dutch channels?

In this area of the Pyrenees (a valley situated between relatively high mountains) I have always problem receiving satellite signals (especially Astra1) even with another LNB and another receiver. I don't know if it is interference on the frequencies from somewhere?

BTW is it possible that this cheap sat meter is having an amplifier which is amplifying the signal?

Thanks & regards,

Robert

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Robert_winter_1000 said:
Hello timo_w2s,

In this area of the Pyrenees (a valley situated between relatively high mountains) I have always problem receiving satellite signals (especially Astra1) even with another LNB and another receiver. I don't know if it is interference on the frequencies from somewhere?

BTW is it possible that this cheap sat meter is having an amplifier which is amplifying the signal?

Thanks & regards,

Robert

I doubt the sat meter is amplifying the signal, usually when you add something to the "chain" between the receiver and LNB it'll reduce the signal somewhat.

Also, a satellite amp generally only works well when it is placed nearer the LNB so it can boost the clean signal before it goes down a long cable run (of over 40-50m). If you place an amp next to the receiver you are also amplifying the noise picked up as the signal goes down the cable which would probably cause more problems. It can't boost a signal that doesn't exist.

Are you sure you have a good clear direct line of sight to the satellite?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
timo_w2s said:
Are you sure you have a good clear direct line of sight to the satellite?

Actually this is the biggest problem! The location is a valley surrounded by high mountains. Always I have to puzzle the place of the dish in order to get the best possible signal by trying to find an opening between the mountains. I have the feeling that this is causing a weak signal (though, I am not sure about it!) If this is the case, what is the possible solution(s)?

Regards,

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Have you used Dishpointer?

With a look angle of over twenty degrees, it shouldn't always be necessary to look for gaps/valleys as it all depends on whether the height and distance of the mountains from your location presents a real obstacle as opposed to what might seem obvious (but might not be!) by eye.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
Tivù said:
Have you used Dishpointer?

With a look angle of over twenty degrees, it shouldn't always be necessary to look for gaps/valleys as it all depends on whether the height and distance of the mountains from your location presents a real obstacle as opposed to what might seem obvious (but might not be!) by eye.

Hello Tivù,

No, I didn't use a Dishpointer, to be honest I do not know how to use it. I have a simple satellite finder which comes between the LNB and the receiver and gives a piep when it finds a satellite. Please let me know if you know better and easier device which can help me to find the best place for the dish. I tried many locations for placing the dish, in some places Astra is good but Hotbird is very weak and vice versa.

Regards,

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dishpointer is a virtual tool ................. !

Try Site Links at the top of this page or just go to

_http://www.dishpointer.com/

It's self-evident how to use it and you will be able to determine what Satellites you should be able to "see" and get much more useful info in pictorial or numerical form.

An essential resource for difficult locations.

Have a play and see what you think.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
Tivù said:
Dishpointer is a virtual tool ................. !

Try Site Links at the top of this page or just go to

_http://www.dishpointer.com/

It's self-evident how to use it and you will be able to determine what Satellites you should be able to "see" and get much more useful info in pictorial or numerical form.

An essential resource for difficult locations.

Have a play and see what you think.

Thank you for the information. I just tried it with the (Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps). I think there are some trees blocking the line of sight about 40-45 meters away. I don't know if this is the reason of having this problem? If yes what should be the solution because there is no better place where I can place the dish!

Regards,

Robert

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If the trees are about 40m - 50m away then they would need to be about 40, - 50m high in order to be in the way. In fact Dishpointer has an option tell you how tall an object has to be in order to be in the way.

In cases such as this then you can try different positions on the ground to peek over the trees. If that doesn't do it then perhaps mounting it higher might help.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
PaulR said:
If the trees are about 40m - 50m away then they would need to be about 40, - 50m high in order to be in the way. In fact Dishpointer has an option tell you how tall an object has to be in order to be in the way.

In cases such as this then you can try different positions on the ground to peek over the trees. If that doesn't do it then perhaps mounting it higher might help.

Hello PaulR,

Yes, Dishpointer tells that the trees should be about 40 meters high in order to influence the signal. The problem is that the place is not flat/level but a mountains area. It won't surprise me if the trees are located in such place in which the total high exceeds the 40 meters.

The problem gets more complex when a satellite finder between the LNB block and the receiver can improve the signal! The question: Is the signal too weak and gets amplified by the satellite finder? Or the signal is too strong and reduced by it?

Regards,

Robert

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Easy way to test, put the finder in line at the receiver end and increase the attenuation slowly, if the signal improves on the receiver, then it is being over driven. Having said that, I've had some pretty high signal strengths going into digital receivers, above 89db without problems.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage HDCS 8000,

Nokia 210S,

PC1 Win7,

PC2 XP
My Location
rolfw said:
Easy way to test, put the finder in line at the receiver end and increase the attenuation slowly, if the signal improves on the receiver, then it is being over driven. Having said that, I've had some pretty high signal strengths going into digital receivers, above 89db without problems.

Hello rolfw,

It is a good idea. I will try it when I will be there in June. As far as I understand, the problem can be one of the following: Too strong or too week signal. What will be the solution in both cases? The size of the dish? E.g. use a bigger dish in case of weak signal and vice versa?

Regards,

Robert

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well the only way it will be a weak signal will be if it's a misaligned dish, bad cable, faulty LNB or bad connections, a properly aligned 80cm dish will give you signal to spare on those two birds.