Problem Receiving British Broadcasts In Paris, France Konig SDFTA11

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SD TV, 80cm Optex dish on roof, with 3 non-motorized LNBs aimed at Hotbird, Astra 1, Astra 2. One Optex ORD 9540 FTA receiver, one Konig SDFTA11 receiver. Also have one Bush BFSAT02SD Freesat receiver.
My Location
Paris, France
Can anybody please help me to receive British transmissions from Astra 2D. My Optex receiver receives only some, and no BBC Radio 4. My Konig receiver receives nothing from the UK. I switch between the output from that and the output from the Konig receiver (which receives TV and radio from several countries from Astra 1 and Hotbird, but no British porogrammes) using a SCART three-way switch. The signal from the LNBs arrives at the Optex and Konig receivers via a splitter. I have tried a Bush freesat receiver here - this works on its own but does not seem to like the splitter. Many thanks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Astra 2D is now Astra 1N and is shortly to be Astra 2F (Space snooker is going on)

But you cannot really use a Splitter as the Receiver that is in use has to send Band and Polarity switching signals to the LNB.

So if you have more than one Receiver connected via a splitter you will get conflicts resulting in inability to reliably get all Channels.

The only way to run more than one Receiver is to use an LNB which can provide a separate feed to each Tuner.

andrewcrawford

Reaction score
Website
www.computersupportservicescs.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Dual DVB-2S computer system and DUal Qbox HD Mini with oscam
My Location
scotland
Astra 2D is now Astra 1N and is shortly to be Astra 2F (Space snooker is going on)

But you cannot really use a Splitter as the Receiver that is in use has to send Band and Polarity switching signals to the LNB.

So if you have more than one Receiver connected via a splitter you will get conflicts resulting in inability to reliably get all Channels.

The only way to run more than one Receiver is to use an LNB which can provide a separate feed to each Tuner.

Or usea receiver with loopback facilities so you can output teh same cable and feeed to another receiver withpout loset or quailty degard, however the box connected to the lnb has to change the pnb to another transponder the other box conencted ot the box on the lnb can only receive the same trasnponder as the one conencted ot the lnb

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The best thing to do is take the splitter out of the cabling and throw it in the bin! Then run independent sets of cables to both receivers.

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SD TV, 80cm Optex dish on roof, with 3 non-motorized LNBs aimed at Hotbird, Astra 1, Astra 2. One Optex ORD 9540 FTA receiver, one Konig SDFTA11 receiver. Also have one Bush BFSAT02SD Freesat receiver.
My Location
Paris, France
Thanks for your comments. Up to now I have been able to manager the splitter problem by making sure one of the two boxes is switched off. Then the other box is the only one connected toi the downlead, and it can send its signals to the LNB. I tried the loopback but there is no signal available at all at the LNB OUT socket. Unfortunately I live in a block of flats and cannot get another downlead installed - it was difficult enough to get permission for this one. Wouldn't the best thing be to find a way of persuading the Konig SDFTA11 to receive BBC and ITV signals, or the Optex box to receive all programmes from all three satellites, as it did when it ws new? Any ideas? Thanks again.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's an unfortunate situation but you seem to be managing it as best you can.

There was a change in the frequencies used for some BBC radio channels. You need to rescan 10803H and 10788V to get them back. See this thread for the full details-

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/156390-the-first-of-the-bbc-frequency-swaps-occured-overnight/page__st__20#entry818158

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could always install a Stacker/Destacker, would solve the two box problem instantly. The stacker goes at the dish end, then the destacker goes into the apartment and feeds both receivers with independent feeds.

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paris, France
Thanks again, I will look into these suggestions. Ideally I would only have one receiver, and therefore not need a stacker/destacker. So can anybody explain why the Optex box stopped receiving all three satellites fully, as it did when it was new? Or why the Konig box receives a bunch of other countries' transmissions, but not the UK? Somebody suggested I should input the country code 54768 for the UK into the Konig box, but I cannot fin,d the procedure for doing this in the rather poor Konig manual.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've just re-read your original post and I think we need some clarifications.

You say that you receive programmes from Astra 1, Hotbird and (by implication) Astra2. What type of splitter are you using? Are you sure that it's not something called a Diseqc switch? Perhaps you have that and then you have a splitter after to feed the two receivers?

You would need three cables coming in to the switch. Is that correct?

I'm sure we might have a few more questions when we get your reply!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I wondered that - either it's a multi-LNB job or possibly we have the old chestnut of thinking that selecting/scanning "19E" with a dish aligned at 28E only can get 19E Channels (It can't)?

More information needed.

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paris, France
Yes, I can receive broadcasts from Astra 1, Astra 2 and Hotbird. I imagine the installers of the dish must have put it in some sort of compromise position to be able to receive from 19 E and 28.2 E. There are 3 LNBs on the dish, and one downlead which goes into the two-way splitter. From the splitter there are two outpuits, one to the Optex box and one to the Konig box. But as I said before, one of the boxes has to be switched off for the other one to work. I would only need one (multi-satellite) receiver if only they would receive all the channels they are supposed to - as the Optex box originally did. At present I use the Optex box for BBC and ITV, and the Konig box for everything else.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
3 LNBs and one downlead means there is a DiSEqC switch outside (near the dish).

The problem arises because of the use of a splitter - and probably incorrect DiSEqC settings in one or both of your Receivers.

Disconnect the splitter, connect up one of the boxes, find the DiSEqC settings and match them to the Ports on the DiSEqC switch.

Probably 13E = A (or 1), 19E = B (or 2), 28E = C (or 3)

Or t'other way around.

Edit: Actually as the Konig has got two Satellites ok, note what the DiSEqC settings are for 13E and 19E respectively.

Then by deduction you can work out what 28E should be and set it right.

If you then choose to use the Optex, simply map across the same DiSEqC settings.

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paris, France
Thanks a lot, I'll try this. How would I "find the DiSEqC settings"? Just one point, though - the Konig box receives three satellites,not just the two. It just doesn't receive transmissions from the UK (mainstream BBC and ITV, and BBC Radio except Five Live). The Konig does however receive BBC World News. The Optex box used to receive all three satellites, but over time has lost them and if I try to retune it it doesn't find them. As I now have the Konig as well, I don't bother trying to receive Astra 1 and Hotbird on the Optex.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What three Satellites?

You mentioned 13E 19E and 28E, but aren't getting 28E - certainly due to incorrect DiSEqC settings.

So when you select 28E, you are actually getting Channels from the LNB connected to Port A )which is default in the absence of a specific setting).

Don't forget frequency re-use means that parameters used for some 28E Channels will be identical to those used at 13E or 19E, so if you select/scan 28E when the LNB for eg 13E is the default one, you will get Channels from 13E that match the parameters pre-stored in the 28E Transponder list.

Believe me, you are only getting two Satellites on the Konig at present! The absence of UK Channels clearly demonstrates that.

Read your Konig Destruction Booklet and/or navigate through the Menus to find where the DiSEqC settings are and correct the missing/wrong setting for 28E.

All with the Splitter removed.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PS: It is possible, I suppose, that the DiSEqC switch itself is faulty. But try checking the Receiver's DiSEqC settings first - and if A, B and C are actually correctly set, then suspect the switch.

Chances are it's the settings that are wrong, though.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Managed to find a pdf manual for the Konig, seems you can easily check the DISEqC settings via the Antenna Connection menu, then Satellite list, then click on any satellite for the settings dropdown menu.

When you press the SAT button on the remote, does it bring up the three satellites?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent - Let's hope the remedy lies within.

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paris, France
The plot thickens! So what the Konig told me was Astra 2D must be some other satellite. And maybe I have to stay with my two-satellite regime (foreign channels on the Konig and UK channels on the Optex), and just try to get back some of the UK channels which are missing on the Optex. I haven't had time to check out tne Konig settings yet.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
"Astra 2D" is just a label - you can call it what you want.

The "some other Satellite" you mention is (again) either 13E or 19E. ie You select 13E and get 13E, you select 19E and get 19E, but you select 28E and (owing to the wrong DiSEqC setting) are accessing the LNB pointing at 13E or 19E. You'll get some Channels showing up, but not all, as the Transponder lists only match in a few cases.

The only value in a "Satellite" (ie The Label plus the Transponder details - which are often out of date anyway - as stored in the Konig) is when it is permitted to correlate directly to the real Satellite your LNB is receiving. Otherwise, it's just a simple and relatively useless data table.

Once you've got the DiSEqC setting sorted, why not Edit that label to eg "UK" (thus at a stroke eliminating any confusion about the physical shifting around of Satellites that is going on right now - It should be "invisible" to you: so long as there are Birds actually transmitting from 28E, it matters not a jot what they are called)?

Sadly , this is one of those issues which would probably take us only a few minutes to resolve if we were sat in your gaff - but trying to explain it so you know what we're going on about ain't easy!) :unsure:

Anyway, whichever Receiver you use, BIN the Splitter! Until you sort out the DisEqC settings,iIf you want to have any easy choice, get an A/B Cable Isolation switch, which will divert the feed from the Dish either to the Konig or to the Optex.

However, checking and putting right the "UK" (Or "Astra 2D" as your label currently is) DiSEqC settings is by far the quickest and easiest solution!

internationalviewer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paris, France
I succeeded today in making the receiver work, by doing the following. In the "Antenna Setup" section of the "Installation" menu, I changed the DiSEqc 1.0 settings to give the best reception results for each of the three satellites I originally selected when I bought the receiver, which appeared as:

"2. Hotbird 2, 6, 7A, 8 E 13.0"
"6. Astra 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H E 19.2"
"15. Astra 2A - 2B - 2D E 28.2".

The best settings in terms of signal intensity (I) and quanity (Q) turned out to be as follows:

DiSEqc 1.0 port 1: "15. Astra 2A - 2B - 2D E 28.2" I = 90%, Q = 74%

DiSEqc 1.0 port 2: "2. Hotbird 2, 6, 7A, 8 E 13.0" I = 45%, Q = 5% (despite these low values, reception is perfectly OK)

DiSEqc 1.0 port 3: "6. Astra 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H E 19.2" I = 90%, Q = 73%.

Not believing this would make any difference, I selected "6. Astra 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H E 19.2" and requested a blind scan. To my surprise, it found all the UK channels broadcast from Astra 28.2° E, instead of the channels broadcast by Astra 19.2°E which one would have expected.

So by chance, and certainly not helped by your instruction book which is of appallingly low quality, I now have what I wanted. I have renamed the satellites selected within the receiver as follows:

"2. Hotbird 2, 6, 7A, 8 E 13.0" renamed to "Astra 19.2 E"
"6. Astra 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H E 19.2" renamed to "Astra 28.2 E"
"15. Astra 2A - 2B - 2D E 28.2" renamed to "Hotbird 13 E"

König clearly need professional help to re-write their instruction book to bring it up to at least a minimum acceptable standard.