problem setting up dvb set top box

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
hi i just got new sat system with a twin lnb hot bird and astra 23.5 .pluged it in and hot bird worked strait away .could not find any astra channels so i went to menu and seached the list of sats astra 23.5 was not listed so as i seached further i found all the sats so i picked astra 23.5 . and it wanted the sybol rate do any one know what the symbol rate is and what do it mean all so are there any other things i will have to input to get the receiver to do a channel search on astra bit of a newbi so keep it simple if thats possible many thanks tony

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do you mean a monobloc?

If you do, then it is more likely to be for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird. :)

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
rolfw said:
Do you mean a monobloc? yes i did mean mono bloc

If you do, then it is more likely to be for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird. :)
yes could be but i was not getting any signal on astra 19.2 and good signal on astra 23.5

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
do u think the dish could be out of alingement its im doing it for a mate is hotbird and astra 19.2 the usual combination on a mono block

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
if i alinge hotbird will astra 19.2 be right as well

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, if you align Hotbird, then 19.2 should be close, if it is the type where one half of the LNB is in the clamp, then it should be the Hotbird side, the left hand side as you look at the LNB from behind the dish..

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
ok i will give it a go many thanks tony

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I got a lidl Silver Crest receiver, they seem to have a software bug where the satellite isn't "recognised", ie, the receiver says "no signal", even when it's actually there! So, best to rely on "satfinder" for dish setup, then beat the software problem by briefly switiching the receiver off at back (reboot it).

At first, i thought this problem was maybe due to diseqc setup mode, but seems to be a software bug!

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
hi thanks for the replys still cant get hotbird and 19.2 together the lnb they supplied for the job is a humax universal single monoblock lnb for 2 satellite systems (6*) anolog/digital is this the right one or have they sent me the wrong one

J

Jeff_19341

LNB is correct.

Do as Rolfw stated above, centre LNB pointing at hotbird 13east, the offset LNB, to the right from behind will then pick up 19east.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
thanks for the reply i was convinced i had the wrong lnb as it said single lnb and digita/anolog and to my way of thinking i would have needed a twin lnb with digital on both for picking up astra 19.2 and hotbird many thaks i will give it another go

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You are changing the diseqC setting for Astra 19.2 to output "2" or "B" I presume?

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
sorry i dont know what that mean rolf . have got a wollsey sat meter which reconise which sat it is alinged to but i can not seem to pick astra and hot bird at the same time ie if it finds hotbird theres no astra and vise versa why do u need a digital/ anolog lnb to pick up astra and hotbird

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you find Hotbird, then the second half of the Monobloc will be pointing towards Astra 19.2, but you need to go into the LNB setup menu and set up the DiseqC commands, so Hotbird will be LNB A and Astra will be LNB B.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
ok rolf i understand that but why do i need an anolog/digital single monoblock are not both astra and hot bird digital sats if u could give me a secon apinion on the type of lnb they sent me i would be most greatfull and i will shut up the specs are 6 posts back

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
i sat down in deep thought last night .you know i said i was using a woolsey sat meter to find the two satellites well i was thinking can the woolsey change which side of the monoblock it is looking at or have i been searching for both sats on the same side of the monoblock if this is the case i have wasted a lot of time many thanks

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
starting from the begining:

it seems your dish is pointing at 19.2E/23.5E, two satellites with 4 degrees seperation - with one monoblock lnb.

normally people use a monoblock for 19.E/13E, two satellites with 6 degrees separation.

it seems to me that your dish is not well aligned - assuming you want 19.2/13E (Astra1 & Hotbird).

You will need to move the whole lot 4-5 degrees west. that's tilting it left as you look at it.

The norm in UK is to have the dish pointing at 13E. This would mean the monoblock rightermost lnb is pointing at 13E and centered on the dish and the lefter most is 19.2E (imagine its like a mirror). If you have a just a standard lnb, try lining your dish up to 13E then fitting the monoblock. If the monoblock bracket can't be shifted around and must be centered and you have an 80cm dish, use a standard single monoblock to align with 16E, then fitting your monoblock you won't be far off 13E/19.2E.

And to come back to your sat meter, you're right it can't choose. The monoblock will either be in its default position or last used position - i'm not sure. The meter I have is a loop through arrangement, so, so long as you've got it hooked up to your receiver and correctly set up the receiver to tune to known transponder frequencies on Astra/Hotbird and got your monoblock diseqc settings right you should know which lnb is in use... if that makes sense....

cts

J

Jeff_19341

@ handymam44

your question why have I a Analogue/Digital single monobloc LNB.
Quite a few of the satellites that are transmitting in the bands that you are trying to receive transmit both analogue and digital signals, the LNB is capable of receiving both types of transmission. I have a analogue and digital receiver as have others, some use an analogue receiver to set up their system and then use a digital receiver for viewing.
Single monobloc just indicates that there are two single LNB's encased together, feeding your receiver via a single co-axial cable. Some LNB's are twin or quad or even octo, meaning that they have 2 or 4 or 8 outputs which are capable of feeding 2 or 4 or 8 receivers at the same time.
You are unduly worrying about your LNB.
You need to set up your dish so that it is pointing at 13east you then set your receiver for this to be input "A" or input "1". If you have fitted the monobloc so that the second LNB is on the right looking from the rear it will automatically pick up signals from 19east. This you set up your receiver for this to be input "B" or input "2".
Which receiver have you got? These instructions should be in the user manual that came with the receiver.
Hope that I have been of some help.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
thank u everyone for your help the make of the receiver is electron ps-1900crci