Problem with Manhattan DSR2500APCI

zarf99

Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so, how it was resolved.
I have had a Manhattan DSR2500APCI for a year or so now, and it has been working fine with my 1.0 Lenson Heath dish, polar mount and superjack actuator. I recently went on holiday and unplugged it from the mains. On return when I plugged it back in, it wouldn't boot up, it gave the red standby light and 4 dashes where the numeric display was. I eventually got it to work after plugging and unplugging it several times but after unplugging it again, I can no longer get it to boot up.

Has anyone any ideas?

thanks

zarf99

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like it may need a trip to the repair shop zarf99, chances are it's a fault in the power supply.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The flash eeprom has a notorious failure rate in these receivers, something to do with the Korean manufacturer buying the cheapest components available (including untested 'seconds')

The trip to the repair shop will probably involve a swop out of the main board, dont expect much change out of £90, and you will probably find the modulator doesnt work for UK TVs once you get it back.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Crumbs, that doesn't sound like good news CH, I guess that this is one of the reasons that they are not enjoying the best of reputations at the moment.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The 2500 was actually a very good design, four separate boards for PSU, antenna controller, main board and analogue receiver. But it was deemed far too expensive to produce, but heralded as the first one of its type on the market.

So the manufacturer cut even more corners on the second and third generation and this is where Manhattan is as a brand now, problematic and open to attack from providers by its firmware deficiencies

zarf99

Reaction score
Oh well I suppose I'd better start looking for a new receiver then, any suggestions for a receiver with 36v positioner, I haven't used the analogue bit of the 2500 so digital only would do.

If the flash eeprom has been corrupted, would it be worth trying to upgrade the firmware via the serial port, or will I be unable to do this because of the state it's now in?

thanks for the replies CH and RolfW

zarf99

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You can have a go of course, but the chances are the eeprom is damaged and requires replacement

The chip itself is not expensive at all, but the problems arise through the size of component, availability of a proper desoldering station and availability of a direct replacement (24C256 I believe) off the shelf

If it is repaird by someone other than the supplier, make sure you get some form of guarantee of work before you part with hard earned cash