Problems adding second LNB

richdenman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FoxSat HD PVR 1.3m Dish
My Location
Faro Portugal
Greetings,<br><br>I am pretty new to satellite but I have done a bit of reading though a number of sites regarding changing/adding a second LNB to a dish. I am currently at my parents in Portugal and the had an old free to air satellite box with a 8m dish and single LNB that they use to pick up UK TV. This setup was professionally installed and works fine. They have recently upgraded their box to a Humax FoxSat HD PVR (Which is the same as I have at home).<br><br>They only had one LNB and as this is a twin tuner they needed to upgrade to record a different channel to what they are watching. Today we went in search of a new dual or quad LNB but we were not able to find one. So, we bought a second single LNB to mount alongside the existing one. I have made a bracket to mount the two LNBs which can be seen in the photos below<br>
2012-06-08%2017.13.55.jpg
<br>
2012-06-08%2017.14.01.jpg
<br>The original LNB works fine but the new one is not working at all. I rotated the new LNB so that it is at the same angle as the old. The dish and original LNB are aligned fine and I have aligned the second to match. I cant work it out. Any pointers as to where to go would be much appreciated. I am only here for 10 days and need to have it sorted before I go.<br><br>Many thanks<br><br>Rich

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You cant mount an lnb alongside another one - it will be looking at the wrong part of the arc - probably 2 degrees away!. Change the existing single output lnb for a dual or preferably quad output lnb.

richdenman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FoxSat HD PVR 1.3m Dish
My Location
Faro Portugal
Thanks for the reply. We cant find any round here. They are all single output? Is it impossible to use two single lnb or just takes more to set up?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
richdenman said:
Thanks for the reply. We cant find any round here. They are all single output? Is it impossible to use two single lnb or just takes more to set up?

It's just not possible I'm afraid. The focal point of the dish for the satellite you need is right where the existing LNB is.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It's impossible, unless you set it up on a separate dish, by adding an lnb to the side of the original, you are offsetting it by several degrees and dish alignment requires degree perfect precision. I find it hard to believe that your local satellite stops don't sell quad LNBs, they are almost standard now for most installations.

richdenman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FoxSat HD PVR 1.3m Dish
My Location
Faro Portugal
Thanks for your help so far. We have managed to find a dual LNB and yesterday I attempted to swap them over. I know the dish is perfectly aligned as it works with the single output LNB. However when I swap it for the Dual LNB I get no signal at all. The old single LNB is a Invacom and can be seen below

2012-06-13%2014.55.40.jpg

The New dual LNB is a Daxis Digital Universal LNB
2012-06-13%2014.55.58.jpg

I have set the Skew offset to just under 30 deg as per the old LNB and no joy. As soon as I put the old LNB back on, then I get signal no problem (without even adjusting for Skew)

Can anyone make any suggestions as to where to look next please?

Thanks Again

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Try swapping the cables over from one to the other as I notice you are using twist on connectors, are you sure you have not got a piece of thin wire braid shorting out one cable?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The skew scale on that lnb looks very wierd, I would not trust it. Put it back on, try it with the connectors downward, but the whole thing rotated by about 30 degrees clockwise when looking at dish face, and then maybe try rotating round bit by bit, if that doesn't work

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It certainly does look weird, looks like with zero skew the LNB connector is at 90 degrees, so did the OP set skew by the scale or mimicking what the original was set at?