Problems continue

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec-Star Lifetime Classic Receiver with 65cm dish single LNB
My Location
London, UK
Posted my problems last week and now they've got worse, my bracket is broken so need a new one and I moved the dish into the garden to pick up Hispasat but cant get any west satellites, my reception for the astra and hotbird was ok averaging about 70%. But if the sat dish is no good then just changing the bracket to put the dish ubove the facia wont help. Can anyone please tell me things to try to sort this reception problem, as well as the new bracket should I get a new LNB, also would I get much better receiption if I get a 90cm dish? Basically I want to get Hispasat, what is my best options for doing so?

Any help is well appreciated thank you

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you're getting a signal from Astra and Hotbird the dish and LNB are OK.

A bigger dish could get more signal but you may not need it. The chances are that the dish alignment is not spot on. It has to be perfect for the dish to rotate in line with the arch.

Check the basics first - the mount pole has to be completely vertical (make sure).

Then check 'True South' is correct and that your reference satellite position (Thor?) is working.

Move East to Astra and Hotbird and check them - go to 28.2 East and check that position.

If all is OK in the East start moving West and see if you can pick up Hispasat.

If East is working and not West then start checking from the mount on....

Sounds like all you need is some 'fine tuning' and not a new system.

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec-Star Lifetime Classic Receiver with 65cm dish single LNB
My Location
London, UK
ok cheers for that, will buy my new bracket so can put the satellite above the facia so that the bay window is not in the way, then will try what you said, moved it to garden becuse from the front if I pointed it towards Hispasat the bay window was in the way, but in the garden cant point towards astra or hotbird, so when I move it above the facia there will be no restricment to where I point it. I think one problem is in the fron the sat was blocked by the window and then the back it was blocked by the house.
So I need the pole dead level, the pole I had was'nt straight so when I turned towards hispasat the satellite was slightly crooked.
One other thing need to get cable to run from LNB to reciever, is there much difference in quality and how much should I look at paying per meter?