problems with isp connection

cableman

Reaction score
I have been trying to assist my freind to connect to V**gin pay-as-u-go dial-up internet. He has recently bought a HP computer with many A*L icons all over the desk top. Obviously the computer is configured to make it easy to take up A*L. Nevertheless he wants V**gin. So we registered him with V**gin using the CD that they supply. I have since manually set Explorer to dial the isp. This we can now do. After the messages, 'connected to remote computer' and 'verifying username and password' we get 'Unable to establish connection'.
we have checked, checked and checked again the username and password but still it will not allow an internet connection. Having tried the V**gin help-line twice, they have failed to call back.
My question is this: Is it possible that the computer was configured to prevent us connecting with this isp? If so, where do I look to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated as I am keen for my freind to register on this and other sat sites.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
cableman said:
Is it possible that the computer was configured to prevent us connecting with this isp?

No that said AOL on a PC or Mac can cause problems after you cancel.

Have you tried to un-install all the AOL components?

Did you check the DNS settings for Virgin?

If you are connecting but not getting access check the case sensitive password.

As it's a pay-as-you-go account why not set up another and try that access?

cableman

Reaction score
gameboy said:
No that said AOL on a PC or Mac can cause problems after you cancel.

Have you tried to un-install all the AOL components?

Did you check the DNS settings for Virgin?

If you are connecting but not getting access check the case sensitive password.

As it's a pay-as-you-go account why not set up another and try that access?
Thanks m8, I'll try another isp first. Cheers.