Problems with my Motorised set up

Milli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Reciever, Stab HH Motor
My Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi everyone, I'm new to all this but undaunted I went out and bought a 60cm dish and a stab motor and decided to set up myself. I've followed all the insructions, I'm pretty sure I found true south, used a signal finder and seem to get a response from it but the best signal i can recieve is intensity 45% strength 5%. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What is your longitude and which satellite did you line up on?

PS. Welcome to the forum. :)

Milli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi Rolf
My Latitude is 54.9573142 and i tried to line up on Astra 2
Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Wrong satellite Chris, what is your longitude, it is this which determines the satellite for alignment.

Milli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
My Longtitude is -1.7094039E so i have been inputting 1.7w could this be part of the problem?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, Newcastle is pretty close to 1W which is Thor, this is the satellite you need to line up on. So set the elevation on your motor to whatever the manual suggests for your latitude, then move the whole lot around to pretty close to South and using your meter, swing the whole assembly on the mast and adjsut the elevation on the dish bracket, to find Thor.

Milli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks for that rolf I try tomorrow when there a bit of light!!!! I let you know how I get on. Thanks again
Chris

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Just to add quickly: don't forget to send the motor to 0.8W (THOR) first !!, your motor will move 0.9 deg East for you and then you can swing the whole assembly round until you get a signal on this satellite:) :D:D

P.S you might get on well with a 60cm but I would of gone for an 80cm min given your location... but don't listen to me, I'm talk nuts :D LOL:-rofl2

Milli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks Satelliteman I'll do that. If i can get this to work i think i'll get a bigger dish, should have done a bit more research first!!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Milli said:
Thanks Satelliteman I'll do that. If i can get this to work i think i'll get a bigger dish, should have done a bit more research first!!

No harm in trying with a 60cm first, good luck ! :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, of course you are right, but I wasn't going to complicate matters at this stage, as that can be done as a small tweaking exercise after finding 1W.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes ok Rolf, no problem :D Out of interest whilst on the subject, wonder what the cut off would be as to when one wouldn't send to 1W and leave on zero for ref sat of 1W given their longitude? ...0.5 deg, 1 deg ?? :D

what's your opinion rolf, robbo?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Depends on the dish size I guess, the larger the dish the more critical the alignment, for a 60cm, half a degree here or there will probably make next to no difference.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
satelliteman said:
wonder what the cut off would be as to when one wouldn't send to 1W and leave on zero for ref sat of 1W given their longitude? ...0.5 deg, 1 deg ?? :D

If the receiver has USALS I'd send the dish to the nearest to due south satellite, regardless of dish size:p, just because it would save having to worry if you are close enough to the reference or not for particular dish size.
Also if you decide to put a bigger dish on later, it may need less adjustment.
:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
OK chaps, cheers:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Let me clarify my comment above, I am not suggesting that you don't compensate for the offset, as a matter of course, you should attempt the most accurate alignment possible. Just answerring satelliteman's query about the affect of not doing it with a small dish, where the offset is minimal. :)

Milli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hello everyone, I've tried to align my dish again today with limited success, I do think I've discovered my problem though. When I'm pointing at true south or 1w my LNB arm has a clear sight of the sky but part of the dish is blocked off by some tree branches about 15m away...would this affect my signal? I will be able to remove the offending branches but not for a few weeks as there are blue tits nesting in a box on the tree and I would prefer not to disturb them?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If the tree is in your line of site to the satellite, YES, it will affect your signal.

If you really can't get 1W, use USALS to send the dish to 5W instead, and do the adjustment on that.

Failing that, send the dish to the closet satellite you can get a view of. Once the tits have gone you can re-adjust on 1W, when a few branches have been cut back.

Robbo:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Nice to see someone who respects wildlife Chris, unfortunately many would not give any consideration at all. :)