Probs with 1 West

blackninja

blackninja

I just bought and set up a 60cm elliptical dish (Sky Zone 2) and seeing as I can get almost 100% signal on Astra 1 and Hotbird I thought I'd try some other satellites using a sat beeper.

I think there may be too much foliage in the way for 30 West (although its only a few thin branches) and I hear Sirius 5 East is notoriously hard to find with a smaller dish, especially for the ViaSat channels, so I thought I'd have a go at 1 West.

From Hotbird I moved the dish due South, which I believe is where the Sun is at 12 noon in the UK, and moved the dish arm up slightly (have I got that right?) The noise from the Sat Beeper went fairly high pitched, although no way near as high as it went for Hotbird and Astra 1. However when I went to the installation menu on my Smart Receiver, to fine tune, Thor 2/3 and IntelSat 10-02 - the Satellites at 1 West - were about the only satellites not on the installation list, and I'm not sure how I'd go about adding them.

Is there a way of getting round this? How strong should the signal be at 1 West - would it be better to find Sirius/Hispasat first?

Thanks in advance.

gameboy

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Does your receiver have the option to add a satellite?

If you can scan a FTA channel on Thor and that will confirm if you have the dish positioned correctly.

1 deg west does have a pretty good signal and should be quit easy to find with the set up you explained.

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The biggest problem with some of the Minidish LNBs, is that they have limited Skew adjustment, if you are trying to find any Westerly satellites, this may cause a problem. As far as I know Skyware is fine and can be fully skewed in either direction.

blackninja

blackninja

Thanks for the replies.

The LNB does have a skew adjustment, numbered 1-5. What setting should I have it at for 1 West?

There is an add satellite option. How could I alter the settings to cater this satellite to 1 West?

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You need it as vertical as possible for 1W, the menu on the receiver should provide you with a list of satellites to add.

BonceChops

BonceChops

My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
rolfw said:
As far as I know Skyware is fine and can be fully skewed in either direction.
I have a skyware quad ( still in the box waiting to be fitted to my minidish ). It does look like it can be adjusted fully.

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure about the quad, but the single can be rotated in the collar.

blackninja

blackninja

Still struggling to find it. I cut a few branches down and tried rotating it but no luck. I'm getting a slightly higher pitched signal (although no way near as high as Astra/Hotbird) from the beeper so I think I may have found it but nothing's coming up on the receiver.

Having got nearly 100% signal on Astra and Hotbird I thought I could just about get Thor 1 West - it's coming up as '63' and the threshold for a picture is usually around '65' but no matter where I move it it still won't go up. Tried rotating the LNB but to no avail.

What height should the dish arm be at - how far above/below Hotbird?

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you download the Swedish Microwave Calculator from www.smw.se , you can see the elevation of all of the staellites from your location. The satellite at 1W, is 3 to 4 degrees higher than 19E.

blackninja

blackninja

Think I've accidentally found Sirius, which is supposedly a weaker signal (though probably only the European beam), but still no Thor. Will keep trying. Gonna start a separate thread on Sirius 'cos I'm now struggling with that! Is this normal 2/3 months into a Satellite experiment?

blackninja

blackninja

I'm still having no luck with a picture, although I'm pretty convinced I've found 1 West because the tone from the sat beeper goes up. I'd expect to get at least something because I can now get 94% signal strength on Hotbird (need to get about 65% on my receiver to get a picture).

I've moved all the twigs in the way so the only thing I can think of is this skew thing. This has confused me a bit - I can move the LNB collar connector for the coax cable around the LNB in 5 positions although the LNB itself doesn't rotate. Adjusting it doesn't seem to be doing much either - should it be moved as far clockwise or anticlockwise as possible?

(Sorry for sounding so thick but I'm thinking of getting an Opos card for my freecam and I thought it would be a good idea to find out whether 1 West was poss for Conax before splashing out.)

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are looking at the LNB from behind, then the cable connector should be as far as it can go towards the vertical, that is anticlockwise.

M

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi blackninja,
depending on your location, you should only get the stronger satellites on 1 deg west using a 60 cm dish. The main problem in finding Thor is the elevation of your dish, most people forget to adjust the elevation sufficiently.
I live in the North West of England and I require a 1.2m dish to pick up sub tv and the other weaker signals but used to pick up the stronger channels on my old 80cm dish.
I found it easiest to use the old d2mac channel TV3, to locate the satellite, as this is only scrambled in d2mac and so you can see something instantly, I experienced all types of spurious readings with my signal meter and found it easiest just connecting up to an old portable B/W TV, and slowly moving my dish until I got a picture.
For full channel information I find this web site helpful
w w w.1-west.com
best wishes
Mickha

L

loftyj

hi blackninja
Put your reciver to Edusat on 11189V, 2143, 3/4, this is a FTA channel with one of the strongest signals on 1W, and as a recomended size of 50cm.
Most of the channels on 1W require an 80cm dish to recive them, but having said that its quite often possible to recive them with a smaller dish

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
if you want to try for 5E have a go for the Ukrainians. They are about as strong as you get off Sirius.