ProgDVB compared with Mytheatre / DVBViewer

adasil2002

Reaction score
I have a SkyStar 2 PCI on my PC ( Pentium IV - 2.8 GHz HyperThreading; 2 GB of RAM; 3 Serial ATA Hard discs - RAID 0; 2 Screens video card - A9600SE/TD; AGP 8X; ATI RADEON 9600SE; 128 M:cool: and a 150 m Satellite Dish (Ku-Band LN:cool:.
I tried ProgDVB and DVBViewer for FTA channels, I must tell you that, for whatever reason, I have more gaggling on ProgDVB than (I don't know if some) with DVBViewer. Apart from that, I still have my Decoder with a valid smart card, when I check the signal strength on that, it shows some 75% in level and 90% on the quality, while my Skystar 2, only shows 57% for both (consider that I am using the same transponder for comparasion). On the Decoder I have no gaggling at all.

Is all this common?

Regards,

PS. Now I am trying to install MyTheatre 2.76, to check the diference.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
my nephew found that his SS2/Viewing software didn't like Hyper threading, always worked better when he turned it off.

The SS2 is also lees sensitive than a lot of standalone receivers and can give very low signal readings.

adasil2002

Reaction score
rolfw said:
my nephew found that his SS2/Viewing software didn't like Hyper threading, always worked better when he turned it off.

The SS2 is also lees sensitive than a lot of standalone receivers and can give very low signal readings.
Is there any Plug-Ins available for DVBViewer, which can be used to decrypt NAGRAVISION?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, only used it when I first got the card, paid for the full version and found that it didn't work well so didn't try it again.

adasil2002

Reaction score
Then, I am gonna try to disable Hyper Threading and see what happens. This should not be the solution as I use the PC for other proposes which need or perform better with Hyper Threading. Its amazing how DVBViewer does not have those gaggling under same circunstances.

Regards,

adasil2002

Reaction score
I am wondering if I can watch TV Channels on other PC of my Home LAN (Local Area Network) - What program should I use? ProgDVB / DVBViwer / MyTheatre ?

What must I do?

Regards,

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
A couple of the guys have done this, never got around to trying it myself though, believe that there is a thread about it, try doing a search using "network" as a keyword. :)

maloo99

Reaction score
Hi,

You say " The SS2 is also lees sensitive than a lot of standalone receivers and can give very low signal readings." Is it true?

I'm trying to set up my 80cm dish, and on astra I can't get more than 50-55% quality, but when I hook it up to my analogic terminal, picture quality is ok. Is it my card, or the dish is misaligned?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
maloo99 said:
Hi,

You say " The SS2 is also lees sensitive than a lot of standalone receivers and can give very low signal readings." Is it true?

I'm trying to set up my 80cm dish, and on astra I can't get more than 50-55% quality, but when I hook it up to my analogic terminal, picture quality is ok. Is it my card, or the dish is misaligned?

Yes it is true, but as long as you get a stable picture it doesn't matter.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
My signal on my SS2 is a lot lower than on the Technomate STB that I have, by quite a few % even though it is running down only 2metres of cable rather than the 20m or so that the other is.

This means that on Sirius I often completely lose the signal on the SS2 at night where as it just manages to pull it in on the STB. I also had this problem the other day when setting up ASTRA 19.2E on the SS2 at my friends house here most of the channels were breaking up when I would expect them to be crystal clear, though I think it may be partly due to the sighting of the dish, because hotbird is up in the 70%s.

Just as an example 10877Mhz on Astra 19.2(just because that is the first channel that came up) has 76% signal quality on progDVB however on the Technomate it is flickering between 99% and 100%.

Damien

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Hopefully someone will read this since I appended it to the end of the post(after my own message) since its relevant to what was said here a while back and I'ld like to get some feedback.

I have been reinvestigating the signal strength issues with the SkyStar 2,
what is interesting is that it seems to be program dependant, and
surprisingly more than you can imagine.

Heres my test:

11325 Mhz H S/R 24500 on Thor (1W).

ProgDVB, gave a Link Strength of 23% and Signal Quality the same(23%) but that is the cut off point, so continually the signal drops to zero, more than half the time, infact even when the signal is on 23% there is no picture because the quality is so low it cannot sift a picture out of the noise, not even the odd still.

Now contrast this with AltDVB. The Link Strength is now on 73% with the signal quality on 100%.

Maybe its me but I am noticing a bit of a different in levels here. Hence if you are having troubles with one DVB app, then it is certainly worth testing out another.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Now THAT is worth knowing. Must have a try with that later.

Cheers mate. :)

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I'ld certainly be interested in knowing how this worked for you. I was just amazed that a channel that wasnt working in progDVB works perfectly in ALT-DVB.

Just to make note here, my Technomate Reciever gets:

80% and 57% so potentially the SS2 is tricking me in to believing it is better at pulling in the signals.

apogee2010

Reaction score
The signal strength meter for the SS2 cards varies with the drivers you use for it. Typically you'll see 50-70% signals for normal channels if you use the 4.2.2 drivers (mostly found in the original Rev 2.3 cards), the 4.2.10 and 4.2.11 drivers (see www.technisat.de). There was some sort of bug in the 4.2.8 drivers (which are most common with the Rev 2.6 card) which shows the same channel at 20-30%!!

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
This may have something to do with it then.