ProgDVB

Reaction score
I am new to all this !
Used to have Satellite Internet but since now got BB have been trying top use the dish and Manhattan DVB Sat Box to get satellite telly on my PC.
Been tying to use ProgDVB but even when I get 80% for quality and level all I seem to get after scanning are little green floppy disk icons on the channel list, wots that all about ??

Any help/advice would be gratefully received !

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yes - they are indicators that you are recieving data only streams from the satellite you are pointed at.

Where are you - what are you pointing at ? (look at your old sat-int paperwork)
and what dish do you have ? .

L.

Reaction score
Well the dish is a 1.2m one and Ilive North of Aberdeen, I believe it was pointed at Eutelsat for the Broadband, however when I tried to find TV Stations I only got the same sort of response. I have tried moving it a wee bit with the aid of a 'Satellite Finder' thingumy but I aint found anything worthwhile yet. I was trying to find the Astra satellites but not had much luck yet, to be honest I'm not too sure about how to set up the ProgDVB other than trying a few scans !
I presume I have just got to keep choosing a possible satellite and then scan it !

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yep pretty much it.

If you choose the scan transponder option and pick a freq, pol & s/rate you know are working on astra (go to lyngsat.com & have a look) then put your monitor where you can see it from the dish and have a swing about (use the windows magnifier thingummy and place it over the signal scale on the screen if you have to). Once you get a reasonable sig then do a full satellite scan and that should be it. :)

L

Reaction score
just been playing with ProgDVB and seem to have found somehting, but can't find the listing so just wondered if anyone can tell what satellite I'm tuned unto with the following info ?

Freq 11390000
Horiz Polarity
27500 Symb Rate

TV Progs visable are all GLOBECAST SPAIN and they are just 4 footie channels ??

Help (again) !!]

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Difficult to say.

I've found stuff on 13e and 28e with those params but nothing with Globecast Spain.

Have you a clue where you might be pointing to save a bit of time, or are you not at all sure ?. If not it will take 30mins or so to find out what you are pointing at.

L

Reaction score
To be honest I aint got a clue ! But I will have another look around when I have some more time, I'm not in a rush and I'm also trying to learn which isn't easy !

The original dish was set up to use Eutelsat with Broadband, I haven't moved the dish horizontally (i.e. left or right) since then but the marking on the back of the dish says approx 23 deg (which is in a vertical direction).

ProgDVB get a very strong signal (100% Quality and 80% Level)

Thanks for your patience tho !!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Got an idea -

Punch in 10773 H 22000 and tell me what you get :)

L

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
OK so probably not 28e then.

right ... how about 11034 V 27500 ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Hmmmm. this is a bit tricky

As I at first glance can't find any other sats using those params. Was your dish pointing at Eutelsat W2 at 16'e ? does that ring any bells at all. If we know where you were to start with and which direction you went from there then it's easy peasy.:)

Its either that or add all the satellites from the ProgDVB menu into the list and scan 1 at a time until you get one that has something on most of the transponders. This is intriguing me now .

L

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, it looks like I'm gonna be a bit busy next week !

I'll let ya know how I get on !!

cheers again

Reaction score
just before I sod off, this is off the Opensky info page, which is where it all started !!

In order to receive OPENSKY™ services, you need a PC, a sufficiently large diameter dish (normally 60-90 cm) pointed to satellite W3 at 7 degrees East, and any type of standard DVB receiver device (usually a PCI card or an USB box). There is no official "Eutelsat PCI card".

Cheers !!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Right - now we can do some stuff to help you get up and running,

Let us know how it's going..:)

L

padraigf

Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Hi Lancelot,

hope you guys don't mind me butting in on your discussion here but I was just wondering about some thiing you mentioned in a previous post:

"Its either that or add all the satellites from the ProgDVB menu into the list and scan 1 at a time until you get one that has something on most of the transponders. This is intriguing me now."

I was wondering if there's any way of scanning a satellite NOT in the ProgDVB menu, namely IntelSat 10-02 @ 1W. I'm interested in picking up a feed from it but have not had any success as of yet.

I can't see any mention of Intelsat 10-02 in the menu, all it has for 1W is Thor2,3 and Intelsat 707.

I know the frequency/pol/SR/FEC etc but can't seem to find a way of tuning it in? Do you know how I'd go about doing this?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Hello :) - no not at all..

Grab this http://joshyfun.peque.org/transponders/
(There is load all link at the bottom of the page)

And paste them into your ProgDVB\Transponders folder replacing the old ones and try again

L. :D

padraigf

Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Thanks Lancelot, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Is there any reason why I would be picking up styuff from Beam 3 of Intelsat 10-02 and not Beam 1 in Ireland? By the look of the footprint on the Intelsat website I should be recieving Spot 3 @ 44.3dBW and Spot 1 @ 51.2dbW. But I can't seem to get anything from Spot 1. I can see everything on Spot 3 though.