Promax hd ranger eco

SimonE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM dish with elevation jack, Supermount 1224 H-H rotator, Octagon SX88+, DR.HD D15, GT Media Combo, Ku PLL LNB, C Band: Titanium C1W-PLL, Ka Band: XMW R9216AF with FD9000 feedhorn, Inverto Saorsat LNB and Inverto Ka/Ku LNB . Zone 2 dish pointing at 28E with Octagon SF8008.
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
Hi guys,

For years I've used a 'scope with a spectrum analyser plugin to check for satellite signals. Well finally it has bitten the dust and I'm looking for something to replace it. I wondered if a Promax HD Ranger Eco would fit the bill? I notice you, JOHN, have a Promax. I wonder if it would be a suitable replacement for me? The issue with all these modern devices is the SWEEP SPEED. I have on loan a GW Instek GSP-730 which shows all the signals OK but on a full sweep takes 8 seconds to do. Any useful suggestions would be welcome.

SimonE

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Hi Simon,
Can't recommend them enough, really useful tool and wouldn't be without mine. The ones i have are 'HD Ranger+' types - they are well over spec'd for what i use them for but it's just what was available at the time on the 'Used' market. They are expensive granted, even on the used market, but they have helped me loads of times to winkle out some difficult signals. Iv'e managed to amass two units now over time by careful monitoring and bartering with the seller etc - the latest one i use has a bit of a lcd screen fault which luckily does not interfere with general use, that was grabbed for £400 as opposed to the usual £1750 area. I have seen HD Ranger+'s go for around the £850 -900 mark and Ranger Lite's for around the £700 mark.
Llew and i do believe Rolf on the forum also use them.
Any specific questions - fire away chap and i or the others might be able to assist you. :Y

SimonE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m CM dish with elevation jack, Supermount 1224 H-H rotator, Octagon SX88+, DR.HD D15, GT Media Combo, Ku PLL LNB, C Band: Titanium C1W-PLL, Ka Band: XMW R9216AF with FD9000 feedhorn, Inverto Saorsat LNB and Inverto Ka/Ku LNB . Zone 2 dish pointing at 28E with Octagon SF8008.
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
Thanks, John.

I presume the joystick gets a fair bashing as you navigate through the spectrum. Does it stand up to that OK? I presume it works OK using the 12v psu. ie can you use it while the internal battery is charging? The spec an I've borrowed is noisy acoustically ie it has a cooling fan in it. I wonder if the Rangers have a cooling fan? I would prefer it to be silent as it would be in a lounge/watching environment.

I'll wait a bit longer for others to have their say but I can feel the wallet twitching from here!

SimonE

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
... the joystick is used quite a lot Simon, but touch wood, both joysticks in the two units still feel as firm & positive in action as the day i bought them which is good as these two units get used a lot every single day.
Again, touch wood, i have mine plugged into the 12v psu's most of the time but every so often i unplug and run the Analysers on battery only, to the point where they need to be re-charged and keep the batteries 'conditioned'. Usually these analysers are recommended to be used in 'intermittent' mode but i have mine on for quite long periods without any issues.
They do have a cooling fan, which is rear mounted, and runs all the time - it's not too noisey & the level of heard noise depends if the unit is up close to a hard surface at the rear of it which tends to amplify the noise a bit
:Y .

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I echo John's analysis (sorry) of the Promax. I too have the HD Ranger+, but bought new when I was feeling flush (amazing what you'll do for this hobby) :-doh
No problem with the stick of joy here, despite several years' almost daily use. I tend to use the machine without the external power plugged in, only recharging after 2-3 hours' use. Don't know if that's the best way, but there doesn't seem to be a decrease in the battery's 'staying power' after many charging cycles over time.

I have to say as a hobbyist I probably use only a quarter of the spec. available with it - professional testers/installers would of course use its facilities to a greater extent.

If you see one on fleabay for a price you can afford, go for it. John's S/H purchases confirm you can get good value for what is a superb, versatile speccy.

SimonE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
Many thanks John & Llew.
You may not be surprised to hear I've taken the plunge and ordered one. I managed to get it for 1850 euros inc P&P and it should be here by November 12th from Spain.
SimonE

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Many thanks John & Llew.
You may not be surprised to hear I've taken the plunge and ordered one. I managed to get it for 1850 euros inc P&P and it should be here by November 12th from Spain.
SimonE

Nice one :Y
You will be very pleased as to what it will do for you even in basic 'enthusiast' mode once you have had it a while and got used to using the different menu's and you will wonder how you have managed without one lol.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Good purchase, I swear by mine, gets daily use and battery still has a good life.