Promax tv explorer please help

freezefm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000hd 1.1m dish and Dark motor using DiSEqC 1.2
My Location
Essex
I have a promax tv explorer that i bought second hand and i wish to update the software on it using net update by promax. i have a usb to rs232 cable to link the device to my laptop. But when i go to net update by promax it cant detect the device. i cant use a traditional 9 pin serial cable as my laptop does not have a 9 pin serial port on it. i have tried promax net update on my laptop with windows 7 and another one with windows xp with no luck on either. There must be promax tv explorer users on here that have had to switch to usb to rs232 cable to continue to update there machines perfectly. If anyone could help me i would be most gratefull.

Kind Regards

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I suspect your problem is the usb to 232 converter - these are notoriously flaky.

I had no end of problems getting one working for my little weather station and that was with xp on the computer.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Agreed about the converter.

Hit and miss: Mostly miss.

Luckily for any relevant STB related purposes I have a luddite neighbour with an ancient PC tower with a native 9 pin RS232 socket. Bless.

I'm trying to get him to bequeath it to me in his will.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can probably pick an old but servicable xp based tower or laptop for nothing from the local Freecycle group.

kai_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Essex
I've just managed to get hold of a Promax TV Explorer, does anyone happen to have PKTools that they could send me to update it? Or at least point me in the right direction to get it? Thanks

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
.... just another word of caution regarding the use of the usb-rs232 adapters .... i too didn't have an older pc to hand that had the proper RS232 out socket and decided to have a go with one of those adapters. As said previously they are very iffy as i found out to my cost. Attempting a software upgrade download on my Televes FSM500 meter it somehow failed and left the meter unusable and a return to Televes UK for recovery. far better to obtain an older pc or laptop with RS232 socket out.

Steve_W

Reaction score
Website
southerndigital.tv
My Satellite Setup
60cm on Astra 2 with TM 7100 HD, Triax 80cm dish motorised with Icecrypt S3700CHD looped into TM 5302HD, WDTV Live, Xbox360
My Location
Thanet, Kent, UK
Funnily enough I'm just about to do this now! I have 3 meters I'll be updating & the frustrating thing is I didn't even think about it, I chucked an old PC in the skip on Friday with a native RS232!

I'm using a Startech adapter with a gender changer, I'll post back the results...

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
3 meters RS232 cable. ??
Wish you luck, many meters if not quality and well grounded screen (shield).
PS: I keep running the old laptop with RS232 port to other subjects.
-----------
3 metros de cable RS232.??
Desearte suerte, son muchos metros si no es de calidad y bien la pantalla a masa (blindaje).
PD: Mantengo funcionando el viejo portatil con puerto RS232 para otros temas.

Steve_W

Reaction score
Website
southerndigital.tv
My Satellite Setup
60cm on Astra 2 with TM 7100 HD, Triax 80cm dish motorised with Icecrypt S3700CHD looped into TM 5302HD, WDTV Live, Xbox360
My Location
Thanet, Kent, UK
Well, I decided to rescue the PC from the skip & put XP on it so I have a dedicated machine for this... so that should be better!

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Well, I decided to rescue the PC from the skip & put XP on it so I have a dedicated machine for this... so that should be better!

That sounds like a safer option Steve, my FSM 500 cost me about £350 to get sorted by Televes UK, i would hate it to go wrong for you.... good luck.