Putting up a dish?

nick1

Reaction score
Please can sameone tell me were i can get a book or a dvd on putting up a dish? putting on a lnb and wiring to the receiver? and setting dish at the right postion for a fixed and a motored dish? Thanks

pothead13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci + 1000d super +
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
all the info you need is in the forum

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Moteck Rotor, 1m Gibertini Antenna, 80cm Triax Humax LNB's on 13&19E. 2 Dreambox DM500s. Gemini Images. Compaq p4, 3.2ghz notebook. House on the Adriatic Coast, Croatia :)
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
yes, this forum is great. i am a compete newbie but managed to setup a motor and dreambox thanks completely to this forum. there are some great walkthough guides on here. and if you get stuck and have specific problems you can ask here and some is sure to help promptly. many friendly and helpful people here.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
nick1 said:
Please can sameone tell me were i can get a book or a dvd on putting up a dish? putting on a lnb and wiring to the receiver? and setting dish at the right postion for a fixed and a motored dish? Thanks

Look at the Satellite Superstores website,i think they sell video tapes on the subject.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
dave branson said:
Look at the Satellite Superstores website,i think they sell video tapes on the subject.

that was going to be my recommendation, start here: http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/msv.htm this is not a personal recommedation, but answers your question about where you can get such a video/dvd

-cts

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
There are some web visual guides, but tend to be mainly USA equipment - Direc tv - related (so be careful!).

For example, see: www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Installation.htm .

Also, nearer home, www.satellitesuperstore.com have lots of pictures of different things - which can be useful - although I personally find this website a bit disorganised and difficult to navigate!

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
ebay has some good deals on it

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
What is it that you want to do? If you ask here I'm sure you'll get a comprehensive answer. And it'll be free :)

nick1

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I would like to learn from start to finish how to set up a system. So if i have any trouble with the one i have got i can do the work myself.:-Guill :-Guill :-Guill :-Guill

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You need to decide what kind of system you want (a bit like choosing a car- what fits your needs etc)? The basic parts are: a receiver, a dish, lnb, sat. cable, a wall or pole mount and maybe a dish. Size of dish depends on the space you've got and what you want to receive. Are you reasonable competent with a computer? If yes, then maybe consider a Dreambox. If you're not, then you can exclude a Dreambox. I bought my setup as a complete novice and learnt how to do it as I went along (took about 3 weeks :( ). Over to you :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
For picture guides to dish setup with/without diseqc motor:

For a "very basic" introduction, see:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~uncletony/sattvstuff.htm .

For an introduction to setting up a diseqc motor, see:

www.adventistsat.com/downloads/InstallDiSEqC.pdf .

(warning, this above site is USA specific, so ignore any actual figures given!).

also (uk specific): www.satalogue.com/section13/page9.htm .

Lastly, here's an excellent download from satcure, loads of pictures, then you probably won't need a book or video. But - warning - this pdf file is BIG, you must have a wideband connection!

www.satcure.co.uk/pdfs/satcure_usals3.pdf .

If you only want a fixed dish, with 1 lnb, for 1 satellite, then just work out very roughly where the sat should be - using one of the web "calucuators" - aim the dish roughly, then find the actual signal using a "sat bleeper".

For a fixed dish with monobloc twin horn lnb (for Hotbird/Astra1 combined), it's much the same, except there's a built in diseqc switch. Once either lnb horn is positioned - on the correct satellite - the other should automatically be ok.

For a fixed dish with 3 lnbs on a bracket (Astra2/Astra1/Hotbird), things get a bit more fiddly, you might then want a "Digisat Pro".

(sorry folks, I realise these links all point outside satellites.co.uk, but Nick1 seemed to be after pictorial type info, so I was trying to be helpful. However, obviously there's the above links pages, with loadsa stuff in them!).