Quad LNB over heating?

Wints2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 3100 not expanded
My Location
midlands
Has anyone else had their sky+ lose signal during a sunny day?

The box itself is in a cool room (air con) with plenty of air flow round it, but I still have no signal at all (on both feeds) on hot sunny days, between about mid day and 5.

Is this a common problem?

Is it worth me swapping the LNB? (quick ebay search coming on)

Any ideas gratefully received, as I am well out of warranty with Sky.

Thanks

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Check this thread...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=43603

Wints2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 3100 not expanded
My Location
midlands
Been having a look and can get a new LNB for about £17 inc P+P, so it will probably be worth a try, to stop the girlfriend moaning that her Big brother's little brother has not recorded. (AGAIN!)
Mind you this is Britain and we have had a couple of weeks of sun now so the problem may go away on it's own soon. :)

Thanks again.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
sounds like a bad dish alignment, what does "signal quality" usually look like?

Also, metal expands in heat, so carefully check all the f plugs, at both ends, and maybe try the other lnb outputs.

If lnb really is faulty, surely installer should replace under guarantee ???

Wints2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 3100 not expanded
My Location
midlands
Well two days of rain and two days of great reception.
I did manage a controlled experiment on sunday afternnoon, and with no signal showing and the sun beating down, I went and gently hosed down just the lnb, and within seconds the signal shot back up to it's normal two thirds and stayed good for the rest of the evening.
What ever the problem I am happy it is at the lnb end and so am going to swap it anyway.

Thanks for all your replies.

I.

P.S. Spiney, it is well out of warranty.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
ok, from that it could well be a dry joint inside lnb, then as you say a new one is needed.

But first, I'd try disconnecting at lnb, carefully re-fitting both f plugs onto cables, then conecting them to the other 2 outputs. You never know!

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish
Could be water ingress inside the Low Noise Converter

spiney said:
ok, from that it could well be a dry joint inside lnb, then as you say a new one is needed.

But first, I'd try disconnecting at lnb, carefully re-fitting both f plugs onto cables, then conecting them to the other 2 outputs. You never know!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
and I'm an idiot ......... !

On any satellite installation, the lnb connection is supposed to be sealed with self-amalgamate tape (looks like a "rubbery bit" around the cable). Otherwise, water ingress will occur, and connector corrosion (due to electrolytic action).

If that wasn't done, it's your answer, in which case re-fit the f plugs, use other lnb ouputs, and this time use self-amalgamate tape.

Trust Spiney to miss the bleedin obvious .........

Wints2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 3100 not expanded
My Location
midlands
It's now a week after I fitted a new LNB, and have had no more re-occurances of the problem, and yes we have had some sun during that time.
So thanks for the help.
And remember, if it looks like a lemon, and smells like a lemon, it could actually be a lemon.

Ta ta.