Quadplex system - uhf tv fault

jazzman2019

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Communal dish with duplex
My Location
Swansea
I have a quadplex sat/tv/radio system installed at my property. The satellite side of the system is working fine however the UHF TV side is very poor just manages to pick up a few UHF TV Freeview channels with a very poor signal quality. What is the most likely cause of this problem? I have taken the quadplex socket off the wall and all the connections seem to be fine, are the quadplex sockets troublesome and could give this type of problem?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
What is the quadplex being fed off? If it's a multiswitch then not all multiswitches amplify the terrestrial signal before splitting it up and you will have to add an external amplifier.

jazzman2019

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swansea
I am not sure what the quadplex is being fed off. However, the system was working fine a few months ago and all of the UHF TV channels worked fine with all a good signal strength. If quadplex socket outlets are prone to have problems I will just replace the socket which will be cheaper than calling a technician out.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, if has been working properly then something has changed. Where is the TV aerial? First likelihood is water ingress into the cable somewhere. Lots of cowboys will just leave a cable loose on a roof as they bring it over the eaves and when the wind picks up and rubs the cable over the tiles this eventually breaks the insulation and lets water in. How does the aerial look physically? Has an albatross tried to sit on it and bent it down or broken a load of elements?

How many outlets do you have in the house? Move the TV (or a smaller one but make sure it's the same for testing everywhere) and see if they're all the same. One of the satellite outlets will be through a triplexer internally but the other is fed direct. If you have an adaptor from TV plug to satellite plug try both the satellite outlets.

At some point you're going to have to find out what feeds the quadplex I'm afraid. Could it be as simple as someone flicking a switch on the power that goes to this whatever? I reused the old switch from our immersion heater in our bedroom to feed a socket in our attic for our multiswitch and every so often "someone" accidentally turns it off.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I suspect a 12V supply has been turned off somewhere.

Change of TV or equipment behind it ?

Technician monkeying around ?

Last edited:

jazzman2019

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swansea
Thanks I will investigate that the 12v supply is working properly. If there is a fault with the 12v supply would this also affect the two satellite outlet feeds?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
As we don't know how the quadplex is being fed we can't say for sure but I would have thought it was likely.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'm thinking of a masthead amplifier.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That's probably a good call CH.

Jazzman, any chance you could take some photos and upload them here? Particularly the aerial and, if you can see where it goes into the attic, follow it in there and see what's what.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Either cable damage failing that I too would go with the mast head amplifier, they do not last forever