Quali-TV QS-1080 IR questions.

opogogo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2600+
My Location
Slovenia
Hi everybody,

I have several questions about satellite TV, and I would appreciate if somebody could help me. I’ve never had a satellite system so I’m complete illiterate when it comes to this subject.

I already bought 100 cm dish and motor Moteck SG-2100A. Now I also plan to get receiver Quali-TV QS-1080 IR. The main reason why I want satellite TV is to watch 4.2.2. and 4.2.0 sport feeds. If I understand correctly Quali-TV is appropriate for this. And here are now my questions:

-Are the mentioned dish, motor and receiver compatible? Will they work together?

-Receiver will be about 30 meters away from the dish. Is that too far for motor to be powered properly? I think my motor gets all the power from the receiver.

-If I buy Quali-TV on Ebay, is there a possibility that everything will be written in some kind of language I don’t understand and I won’t be able to operate the receiver. English or German would be okay.

-If I understand correctly, one other option for 4.2.2. feeds is SkyStar2 card. But this one you need to install in a computer. For me this seems like a problem because my computer often gets jammed. And then I have to take it to my cousin who again installs Windows and other important programs I use. So if I get a SkyStar2 I’ll have to call satellite TV service whenever I get Windows reinstalled. But I don’t want so much trouble every time. I want to call satellite TV service only once at the beginning. And after they make the system work I want it to really work well from then on without any problems. I therefore assume that a better option for me would be Quali-TV since it doesn’t get jammed. Would you agree? I basically want to know which receiver is more reliable and easier to use, Quali-TV or SkyStar2. Which one will give me less trouble?

-And a final question. If you have a bigger satellite dish, does this mean you don’t have to point it as accurately as if it was smaller?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum opogogo
For a first post there are far too many questions but I will answer the ones I am able

opogogo said:
-And a final question. If you have a bigger satellite dish, does this mean you don’t have to point it as accurately as if it was smaller?

Exactly the opposite I'm afraid to say the bigger the dish the more accurately it has to be pointed.

As regards your other questions you do not mention where this Quali TV is sold as the only specs I can find do not suggest what you seem to have convinced yourself and why do you think feeds will be HD?
30 mtr is not a problem provided you use good quality satellite cable like CT100 or CT125

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
The Quali-TV is OK for 4:2:2 and also has Diseqc 1.2 for a motor. But the user interface is a bit awkward. A blindsearch receiver like a Technomate 1500 would be useful in conjunction with the Quali and has a better interface.

A nice user review of the Quali here:
h**p://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/133127-quali-tv-1080i.html

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
There is little or no mention of its capabilities here

but seeing as it is appears to be used a lot in the US perhaps that explains why nobody in Europe knows much about it, personally if I had money to spend, it would be on something that had support over here

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
The other way around! It is a European made receiver and difficult to source in the US. Fairly popular among European feedhunters for use with 4:2:2 feeds. Roger Bunney had fairly extensive reviews in previous What Satellite and Television magazines. It has also been covered by Tele-satellite magazine and Dr Dish.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m motorised qualitv decoder manhatten blind search decoder echostar 3600ip
My Location
glasgow
I've had mine for around 3 years now and they are good for 4:2;2 but the remote commands are dodgy.You need to have a "lock" on whichever frequency you want to watch and you may get this on a blind search stb but the quali is poor for pulling in the required signal.They were originally for Euro1080 tv (hence the name)but they changed to mpeg4 as opposed to mpeg2,their original format.A lot more feeds are now in 4:2:2 so they are of some value.Although they do need to be re-booted regular I think they are worth the hassle.Good luck anyway and if you have probs please don't hesitate to post and I will help if I can.Also welcome to the forum.

opogogo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2600+
My Location
Slovenia
Thanks guys for your help! I do appreciate it.

I think I now know what to do. I’ll buy Quali and not SkyStar2. But I don’t think I’ll also get additional blindsearch receiver. I could see on one of the links above that Quali interface is in English so I should be able to figure it out eventually. It might be nice to have a blindsearch option, but in my mind having additional device seems like another thing I’ll have to figure out how to operate. And it’s another thing that could potentially break down. I want to keep the system as simple as possible. It seems to me this makes it less likely that something will go wrong. Plus I don’t want to spend money on something that’s not essential. I want Quali in order to watch tennis tournaments. And I can get all the necessary feed info on this site _http://www.satelliweb.com/index.php?section=archivesfres&type=Sport%20-%20Tennis .I also noticed that a specific tournament is always broadcasted on the same “feed”(same satellite, same frequency…). This means that I won’t even have to check that site for every single match but only when a new tournament starts. So I guess the problem is solved. Maybe I’ll get additional blindsearch receiver later on, after I have Quali and everything else already figured out.

I also have several more questions:

-I noticed that some Qualis have written Quali-TV on them, but there are also some that have written Euro1080. Is there any difference between them? Is this about the mpeg4 and mpeg2 issue? What is the difference between mpeg4 and mpeg2? I basically want to know whether they’re both good for 4.2.2. and 4.2.0. feeds?

-colinp, you said that Quali needs to be rebooted regularly. When you do that, do you have to also do something else in order to setup the system again, like position the dish for example? I want to know how much work I’ll have every time I reboot it and whether I’ll even be able to set it up on myself again. I don’t want to keep on calling satellite TV service.

Like I said, I’ve never had a satellite system and I don’t know how it works. Therefore I apologize if I’m asking stupid questions.

Thank you again!

opogogo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2600+
My Location
Slovenia
p.s. For example here was one with Euro1080 written on it instead of Quali-TV.

_ebay 10242906328

opogogo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2600+
My Location
Slovenia
Okay now I also attached a picture of Quali with Euro1080 written on it instead of usual Quali-TV. The picture is small but it’s best I could find.

Attachments

• Quali.jpg
    Quali.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 85

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Euro1080 = Quali TV. Quali-TV manufactured the box which was rebraned for the now defunct Euro1080 MPEG2 HD service. Euro1080 now use Humax DVB-S2 MPEG4 receivers.

I use the Quali only as a slave receiver - it is too flakey to be relied on for continual motorised use.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
When I re-boot all I do is disconnect from mains supply wait 30 seconds or so then power up stb.This usually works quite well.I don't use mine to drive my dish as my echostar for this is downstairs and quali is upstairs.I would suggest you invest in a blind search box as they can be had for around £70 new.Then use an A/B switch to separate your incoming coax cable to the blind search box and after you have done a search write down found channels ,switch it back to the quali and input your findings.It may take time but as does searching the internet for feeds.Try also satbenelux.com it is simillar to satelliweb.I use and contribute to both.Regards and Good Luck.Any probs just post.

opogogo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2600+
My Location
Slovenia
Hmmm, now I again don't know what to do. I was prepared to spend extra on Quali because I thought it would be more reliable than Skystar2. But now I find out Quali isn’t reliable and that I’d need additional receiver. This means I’d have to spend about 200 euros extra on used equipment, which is substantially more than Skystar2. These cards are incredibly cheap. In fact, I could even buy extra used computer just for the Skystar2 and it would still be much cheaper. Plus I talked to my cousin and he said he can reinstall Windows in such a way that it doesn’t erase the “Skystar” files. I guess this means I wouldn’t have to call the satellite TV service every time the computer gets jammed. And I don’t know why it even would since I’d use the other one for all the weird stuff. I don’t want to appear extremely cheap, but like I said, I only want satellite TV in order to watch tennis tournaments. Therefore I’m not prepared to spend a lot of money. I already have some kind of digital cable TV.

So what do you think I should get? Quali+additional receiver or Skystar2?

If you think that I should still get Quali and additional receiver, can you please list some additional cheap options. One you say is Technomate 1500 and another one is Echostar(which model)?

Thank you very much!

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
I use a Manhattan ST100 which I bought for £70 new so I presume you could pick one up cheaper second hand.

opogogo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Athlon 2600+
My Location
Slovenia
I think I'm gonna get Quali after all. Plus Manhattan ST100 or Techomate 1500. Whichever is cheaper.

Thanks man! BIG thanks to all of you!