Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TEchnomate 1500 CI+ Super
80cm Dish
Fortec Start Universal Single 0.3 NF
My Location
Scotland
Hi,
I just bought my new satellite equipment. I got some problems setting the system up, as I am new in this I need some help.
After made all the connections; connect the receiver to the TV; I was trying to see if I get some signal before fix the dish to the wall. I am trying to catch Hispasat 30W so aim to 30W, but nothing, the quality signal was dead 1%. I tried to move the dish around a bit to other directions, with different inclinations but the quality signal always-dead 1%. I tried with all transponder in Hispasat but the problem was the same.
The level signal with the cable connected to the dish was 98% stable but something weird; I removed the cable from the dish and the quality signal started oscillating from 10% up to 60% (but never stable) and the level signal then died 0%. I connect the cable again to the dish and the quality signal died and the level signal went to 98%. I remove the F connector from the cable and made again thinking the problem was there but nothing, the problem remain.
What inclination should I give to the dish?

I would appreciate any advice.

This is my system:
Technomate 1500 CI Super
Fortec Start FSKU-V Universal Single LNBF 0.3 NF
80 cm fix dish
Latitude: 56.5 N
Longitude: -2.9 W

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly sounds like a connection/cable problem, what reading do you get on the receiver with no cable connected at all?

Hispasat for you will be quite low in the Sky, at around 20 degrees elevation, your offset dish will look to be pointing downwards.

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
Certainly sounds like a coonection/cable problem, what reading do you get on the receiver with no cable connected at all?

Hispasat for you will be quite low in the Sky, at around 20 degrees elevation, your offset dish will look to be pointing downwards.

I disconnect the F-connector from the dish and in the receiver; the quality signal oscillate (like crazy) up to 45% and the level signal died 1%. When connect the cable again to the dish the quality signal die 1% and the level signal goes up to 98%.

Regarding to the elevation; should be 20 degrees up from the horizon line?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I had this trouble when I first started with Hispa, it's to do with the skew needed for the LNB. Looking at the front of the dish, Twist the LNB Anti-clockwise from centre to approx. 5 O'Clock, this should give you a better signal.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, 20 degrees above horizontal, your dish will already be offset by more than that, so you will probably need to point the dish downwards by 2 or 3 degrees.

It still sounds very much like you have a problem with the cable or connections.

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
hi , i could be wrong but i have same reciever , try fine tunning in the motorised setup and manually tune new box to peaked signals on hippisat just some times you can get false readings try moving slightily west and east manually untill ss and quality comes up .

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
2cvbloke; I have tried twist the LNB as you said but nothing change, just the same.
Although I don’t have too much knowledge in this looks what rolfw says, connection problem, because the quality signal is the same with cable or without cable, always is dead.
I have change the F connectors few times and check the connections diagram from the manual but I am not able to find out where the problem is.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
llss said:
to peaked signals on hippisat just some times you can get false readings.

Love that satellite name!!! :D

Anyway, best thing to do is to leave the skew at approx. 5 O'Clock and just move the dish about in careful increments (rather than what I do which is wave it about until I get a picture on my Analogue box). If you still can't find anything you might want to get a cheap satellite meter to help you find Hispasat....

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
Thanks guys for your help.
I think right now get Hispasat is secondary; the main problem is that I don’t get any quality signal at all, in any satellite in any transponder. Something is wrong in my system and I am not able to find out what is :confused .
Any ideas why I don’t get quality signal, (with any satellite)?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
burnet01 said:
Thanks guys for your help.
I think right now get Hispasat is secondary; the main problem is that I don’t get any quality signal at all, in any satellite in any transponder. Something is wrong in my system and I am not able to find out what is :confused .
Any ideas why I don’t get quality signal, (with any satellite)?

Have you got a working setup to try it on (e.g. a simple sky system or even an old analogue system (as long as the LNB is a Universal one) at a friends house)? If so give it a try on that, if it's still the same you might want to get in touch with Technomate....

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
I realised something, don’t know if is important or not.(forgive my ignorance)
In this pic I can see the cable come with F connectors at both ends. In one end the F connector is short and in the other end the F connector is longer. Why is that?
In the cable I got to connect the dish with the receiver the F connectors at both ends are the same (the short kind)
Is this important?
I am using and second hand cable from sky dish, so i would like to put a new one to make sure the problem is not in the cable. I went to an electrical shop asking for CT 100 coaxial cable, and the salesman didn’t have any idea. I explain it was for satellite, and I was told he only got a standard coaxial cable. Is there other name for CT 100?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Its no the F conn length thats critical, but the amount of CTR cond poking out of it that is. Chech you have enough of that.

L.:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
All of those connectors are the same, just that two have female to female connectors in the ends.

Looks like you need more core exposed, it may not be making contact as L says. :)

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
Lancelot said:
Its no the F conn length thats critical, but the amount of CTR cond poking out of it that is. Chech you have enough of that.

:confused sorry but i don't understand nothing, (about satellites i don't know alot), would you mind explain?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
OK - the F connector should have between 5 and 10 mm of centre conductor from the coax protruding from the end. This is because some sockets on recievers and LNB's have their connections at differing depths within them.
so it's always a good idea to have a little too much to start with, then trim back just enough so the screw part of the connector fits home snugly.

Does that make sense ??

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
Lancelot said:
OK - the F connector should have between 5 and 10 mm of centre conductor from the coax protruding from the end. This is because some sockets on recievers and LNB's have their connections at differing depths within them.
so it's always a good idea to have a little too much to start with, then trim back just enough so the screw part of the connector fits home snugly.

Does that make sense ??

I understand now, thanks for the explanation.
The F connectors has 3 mm expose from the end of the F connector, but I‘ll check again.

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
I got signal at last!
The problem was the inclination, I was with the wrong inclination, but after get the right inclination according with my location, (as rolfw said) I got signal with Hispasat.
Something I don’t understand; I was trying to get Hotbirt 13E, but the quality signal was not too strong about 30%, but suddenly I got 70% quality signal with Hispasat in 13 degree E!
Then I thought, if I can get 70% in 13E with Hispasat then I should get much better signal in Hspasat as I orientate the dish to 30W, but closer I was getting to 30W I was loosing the signal. I was using a compass so I am sure about the position.
How is it possible I get Hispasat in 13E and not in 30W?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are pointing the dish roughly at 13E, then you won't be seeing Hispasat, more likely you are looking at 13,16, or 19E, just that the transponder happens to match one from those satellites. What transponder frequency are you using when trying to aim the dish?

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
If you are pointing the dish roughly at 13E, then you won't be seeing Hispasat, more likely you are looking at 13,16, or 19E, just that the transponder happens to match one from those satellites. What transponder frequency are you using when trying to aim the dish?

I can not remember exactly, I tried all transponder in Hispasat 30W, but it was very low transponder, probably 11509.

Now I am a bit confused; I can not say where the dish was pointing, 13E or 13.16E I can not be so accurate. But for sure it was pointing E.
This is what makes me confuse; when we try to catch a satellite we point the dish to the location of the satellite, in this case Hispasat 30W. Once we got the exact orientation 30W and the right inclination in my case 20 degree elevation above horizontal, then we only have to choose the transponder in the receiver, right?

Or there are transponders from Hispasat 30W in other location, in the East?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there are transponders on Hispasat which are similar to other satellites and will appear to give you a signal from Hispasat. If you find a match, then search on that transponder and see what channels come up, it is then relatively easy to do a bit of investigation to find out which d
satellite you are on www.lyngsat.com . :)

What I find myself asking though, is why are you searching on a Hispasat transponder when trying to find an Easterly satellite?