Question about digital recievers

D

Darko

Hello everybody,

For many years I've watched analogue satellite tv programs, and now I think it's time to get in the digital world. However, I would like to keep my analogue equipment ( Pace MSS 500 with positioner and Philips Ctu 900 D2-mac decoder).

I want to watch free-to-air digital chanels from all parts of Europe, but also these which use Seca-Mediaguard encription system (such as French, Italian and Spanish Canal+ package).

I would like to have a reliable reciever with common interface slot. I found out that Echostar D-2500 IP fulfills my wishes (and also had the positioner) and I thougt I can have confidence in Echostar, but the satellite equipment stores in my city didn't have this unit. Nevertheless, if anyone have experience with this reciever I would be very greatful if you let me know if it's really a good thing to buy. I've also seen the Echostar D-2510 IP, and I would like to know what's the difference between them.

I was also thinking about connecting the new digital reciever without positioner to my analogue Pace, which I could use to move the dish. Could you recomend me some? And, what do you think about Columbia Ci reciever (this one is available to me).

If you prefer it, you can wright me to my e-mail
darkod1@yahoo.com

I thank you in advance.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I used to own a D2500ip and had endless problems with data (settings) corruption. Now I have a perfectly (almost) working ad3000ip.

Note that you should certainly not buy the d2500 even if you are looking for a digital-only model. Given the choice, you should buy the d2510 since it is the new model. Hardware completely revamped and more reliable. New high-powered RISC processor. Completely new software - essentially the same as in the ad3000ip. Etc. The d2500 is out of date and Echostar are no longer developing it. There will almost certainly be no further software enhancements for that model.

Moreover, the very lastest Echostar models comne with built-in Viaccess CAMs as well as 2 CI slots. Maybe you find that attractive.

If you're looking at the high-end market with built in positioner, also take a look at the Manhattan and Strong offerings. The strong 4375 is a very interesting alternative to the Echostar ad3000ip for example.

If I were you, I would go for either one of those (ie with analogue built in too) and throw away your Pace... you can attach your D2Mac decoder to an Echostar ad3000ip (maybe also to the Strong - I don't know).

2old

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
Hi sorry i cant recommend a digital receiver as ive got a echostar ad-3000ip viccess,im on my third unit about to get my fourth,its not that they are good its to do with all the problems ive had eg: faulty remotes no analogue picture,cams being destroyed menus locking up,also the analogue picture on the echostar is very poor.

if i was you id keep your pace receiver until one of the other manufactures produce something better than the Echostar.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
For a more balanced view than one or two persons' opinions, and more info on the technical aspects of the receiver, check out the dedicated ad3000ip board.
http://pub6.ezboard.com/bechostarad3000ip.html

2old