Questions about reception in Bangalore

simpleyogi

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
45
My Satellite Setup
I'm a newbie to DIY satellite setups. I'm excited to learn and implement my own setup including using DVR capabilities
My Location
Bangalore, India
Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful forum! I'm in Bangalore and kinda new to the FTA thing. I'd like to setup for FTA to receive DD channels and other available FTA channels in this subcontinent (as listed in lyngsat, dd-dth).

I did some research in S.P road and hence the questions,

[1] I was quoted Rs. 1400 for dish (2ft), accessories and STB (Pagaria). Rs. 200 for install and cables were extra. Does this setup get me good quality reception and viewing?

[2] How does Pagaria (1 yr warranty) compare to Toyo and Beetel STB's? Are there "better" STB's available in Bangalore? All vendors avoided Beetel claiming only "6 months warranty" on service.

[3] Do I need a bigger dish than 2ft? All vendors said this setup is "good enough".

[4] Are there any Linux based STB's available in Bangalore?

Are there any Bangalore Satellite/STB gurus from this list that can help with my setup?

Thanks in advance!
Long live FTA's!
 

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
23,589
Reaction score
3,820
Points
113
Age
66
My Satellite Setup
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 35 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
simpleyogi said:
Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful forum! I'm in Bangalore and kinda new to the FTA thing. I'd like to setup for FTA to receive DD channels and other available FTA channels in this subcontinent (as listed in lyngsat, dd-dth).

I did some research in S.P road and hence the questions,

[1] I was quoted Rs. 1400 for dish (2ft), accessories and STB (Pagaria). Rs. 200 for install and cables were extra. Does this setup get me good quality reception and viewing?

[2] How does Pagaria (1 yr warranty) compare to Toyo and Beetel STB's? Are there "better" STB's available in Bangalore? All vendors avoided Beetel claiming only "6 months warranty" on service.

[3] Do I need a bigger dish than 2ft? All vendors said this setup is "good enough".

[4] Are there any Linux based STB's available in Bangalore?

Are there any Bangalore Satellite/STB gurus from this list that can help with my setup?

Thanks in advance!
Long live FTA's!

Welcome to the forum

If you are going to partake of life in this forum then you need to get your terminology correct. FTA means in Europe FreeTo Air, i.e. the provider does not encrypt the channels thus they can be received using a standard receiver with nothing else. Over in the USA it means exactly the opposite, it means encrypted channels which are illegally opened for watching using keys cams emulators and patches.
For the rest of your answers you must wait for collegues in your area to respond
 

Moradabad

SAT SPECIALIST INDIA
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
796
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Age
42
My Satellite Setup
One 12 Feet Heavy Antenna, one 10 Feet Double Rib Antenna

Dreambox Dm500S, DM 7025. HD Receiver,Envision,
Eurostar receiver, 4 Dual LNBS, 5 PFA Lnbs
My Location
india
Pagaria is a Delhi made receiver its ok for FTA work.

And u didnt mentioned what Channels u want C band or KU band.

For KU 2 ft dish is ok but for "C" band its waste.

As you mentioned about "Linux based STB: so I a new guy will not know what is that as u mentioned abt that so I think you know much abt these devices...and just testing people... I think you got what I am pointing....

Linux STB are very costly and available in INDIA if u have proper link.

Regards,
MBD-UP
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 26, 2003
Messages
49,080
Reaction score
9,813
Points
113
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive changed the thread title as "newbie alert" isnt very useful!
 

simpleyogi

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
45
My Satellite Setup
I'm a newbie to DIY satellite setups. I'm excited to learn and implement my own setup including using DVR capabilities
My Location
Bangalore, India
Thanks for the welcome! I'm aware that F-T-A is unencrypted "free" channels and quite happy viewing them.

I'm don't want to be at the mercy of the cable/DTH operator and hence this adventure.

I'd be thrilled if I can get hold of a receiver that runs Linux. This is more of a wish than a requirement.

I can live with Pagaria if it's good enough for FTA.

I'd like to watch DD-DTH, Aastha, B4U, Sanskar and other Zee/NDTV Imagine FTA's. I'm not looking for any C band channels I think. Most of my channels are in http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/India.html

Thanks for all the comments so far.
 

srei

New Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
453
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
55
My Satellite Setup
coship receiver 2000,Dreambox 500;2 ku3cband dishes of 2,4,6&8feet,amd 64 pc with 1GB ram usb tv tuner card
My Location
north west india
Pl.clear your misconception,the so called free tv channels relate to different satellites many of which are receivable from C band.
In case you wish really to be independent of cable wallah with some good channels,
not less than 4 ft. solid dish is recommended,better would be 6 ft or above,if your
budget allows.
 

Moradabad

SAT SPECIALIST INDIA
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
796
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Age
42
My Satellite Setup
One 12 Feet Heavy Antenna, one 10 Feet Double Rib Antenna

Dreambox Dm500S, DM 7025. HD Receiver,Envision,
Eurostar receiver, 4 Dual LNBS, 5 PFA Lnbs
My Location
india
simpleyogi said:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm aware that F-T-A is unencrypted "free" channels and quite happy viewing them.

I'm don't want to be at the mercy of the cable/DTH operator and hence this adventure.

I'd be thrilled if I can get hold of a receiver that runs Linux. This is more of a wish than a requirement.

I can live with Pagaria if it's good enough for FTA.

I'd like to watch DD-DTH, Aastha, B4U, Sanskar and other Zee/NDTV Imagine FTA's. I'm not looking for any C band channels I think. Most of my channels are in http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/India.html

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Hi Sir,

Some of the satellites like HB8,Astra and Euro1 u cannot receive in INDIA and there are very few FTA channels nowadays ...
 

simpleyogi

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
45
My Satellite Setup
I'm a newbie to DIY satellite setups. I'm excited to learn and implement my own setup including using DVR capabilities
My Location
Bangalore, India
Thank you! This explains a lot.

Is it safe to assume that INSAT broadcasts on Ku band? I'm only interested in Ku band (small dish).

One question is how are Tata/Sun/Dish TV receiving C band channels on a small dish? Is it that the non-FTA channels are also broadcast on Ku band?

Thanks for your patience with my questions!
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 26, 2003
Messages
49,080
Reaction score
9,813
Points
113
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
simpleyogi said:
One question is how are Tata/Sun/Dish TV receiving C band channels on a small dish?

Ther arent. Those providers all broadcast on the Ku band.
 

srei

New Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
453
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
55
My Satellite Setup
coship receiver 2000,Dreambox 500;2 ku3cband dishes of 2,4,6&8feet,amd 64 pc with 1GB ram usb tv tuner card
My Location
north west india
You will be disappointed if you are trying to find good Free channels from Ku band only.The experience would be worse during rains.
 
Top