Quick Dreambox Query :)

britishguy4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital subscription
My Location
UK
First of all, this is my first post so hi everyone :)

Ok, I've taken a long and hard look at the idiot guides to the dreambox and have surmised the following:

In order to unscramble a sat signal I need:
1. a dreambox
2. an EMU (e.g. Ccam)
3. various keys
4. original s*y digi-box & card
5. broadband connection, router and network cable + usb drive.

If the above is totally wrong feel free to point me in the right direction :)
I have a current subscription to s*y digital with s*y card (is there a reason for the * in s*y?) and I'm about to purchase a dreambox 7020.

My overall question is am on the right track with 1 - 5 above or am I missing anything out here?

Thx in advance :)

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
What do you want to do with a dreambox?

If you have a S*y card then you can use it in the box; if you have premium channels, you'll have to get the box serial number and put it in the config file.

britishguy4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital subscription
My Location
UK
Thanks for the quick reply Leee

I want to use the dreambox to pick up further channels and also as a hard drive recorder (don't want to spend the extra on s*y+). Also in response I don't have premium channels.

Also, following a bit of further reading I realise I don't need the Ccam now, I need a Gemini image, is this correct?

Thx :)

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
Gemini image is firmware and CCcam is an emulator.

Basically the emulator runs on the firmware, it's abit like installing software on an operating system on a pc.

the dreambox which you say you are about to purchase is right, or you could go for the 7025 model but either will do.

As for the key's you will need more than 1 emulator on there to be able to use and get the best out of certain key files, so it's always worth while sticking 3 or 4 emu's on the dreambox.

When you purchase your box make sure it has the dream hologram on(i.e. not a fake), and you need flash it with a maxvar version of gemini, preferably 4.10 since that's the latest.

Install the emu's (as shown in the guide), scan some sat's and then view the channel without the keys and then with the keys so you can see for yourself just how they work.

It does take abit of getting used to to begin with but you soon get the hang of it.

If you don't have premium all you need to do is select CCcam as an emu and then wait for the signal to clear for $ky on 28.8.

britishguy4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital subscription
My Location
UK
Thanks Sharkadder, I have to say (following reading guides for what seems an eternity) your post has finally helped me get my head round the firmware / emulator situation so my upmost thanks to you.

I'll purchase the dreambox from a reputable place (e.g. seen satshop mentioned a few times around here) to make sure it's got the hologram on it.

Also, I've picked up so far that the gemini image should be flashed via a usb drive to avoid a bad situation happening :)

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
In order to unscramble a sat signal I need:
1. a dreambox
2. an EMU (e.g. Ccam)
3. various keys
4. original s*y digi-box & card
5. broadband connection, router and network cable + usb drive....

If I can just add...

Your dreambox does not have to be connected to the net (through a router), this is only required if you wish to take part is c@rdsharing ( a bit taboo) and to connect to the net for downloading stuff such as keys. but most dreambox users require the net

You will need to download an emulator of which there are a good half a dozen. If you have a sly card then I suggest using cccam, which will automaticly read your uk card without the need for alterations to the config (ie just pop the card in and u are off)

As far as keys go...well for the broadcasters which are currently hacked (open) then you will need to download the relevant key files.

Of course you require a satellite dish(es), either fixed or motorised.various packages broadcast on various satellits across the clarke belt.

but be warned...if you are new to the game and you are not so quick with IT then the dreambox may take some time to get fully functional, like everything else its like riding a bike

britishguy4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital subscription
My Location
UK
Ahaah, thanks for that. Well......I'm not too bad with IT, did all my home networking etc. plus I have a couple of mates who work as IT professionals who are always willing to help out (over a beer).

Seems as I ask one question another crops up.

Will the s*y dish that the s*y engineer fitted be ok to pick up signals or will I have to purchase a new one?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
The dish will do :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you're using your sky dish then you'll only be able to pick up 28.2E

The only emu you'll need is CCcam to use your current sky card; the only channels you'll get will be FTA and FTV. You cannot watch subscription channels for free with any emu- you need a card.

britishguy4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital subscription
My Location
UK
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Does the dreambox control a motorised dish? Also is there a list of motorised dish dealers/installers around?

Thx

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
yes it does

p.s i sent you a private message about how i can help you set it up, read your inbox dude. i have the same setup as what you are after.

if you contact me as provided in the private message i can tell you what you need and explain further, people tend to get abit fed up on here about answering what they class as basic questions :-) .

If you didn't get the message then send me one. or turn your private messages on

Hope i've helped

v9oly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S & 7020s. Technomate 9100 & 1500. Force frontier fixed, Raven 90 fixed, Triax 90 motorised dish. Diablo & dragon cams.
My Location
South West

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Sharkadder said:
yes it does

p.s i sent you a private message about how i can help you set it up, read your inbox dude. i have the same setup as what you are after.

if you contact me as provided in the private message i can tell you what you need and explain further, people tend to get abit fed up on here about answering what they class as basic questions :-) .

If you didn't get the message then send me one. or turn your private messages on

Hope i've helped

I think that PM is not available immediately to new members (takes about a month). There is possibly the alternative of using vcard. (never used it myself though)
Welcome to the forum britishguy4 :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Sharkadder said:
yes it does
people tend to get abit fed up on here about answering what they class as basic questions :-) .

I don't think he can do PMs yet mate.

Some people get fed up with basic questions, others don't. Me for one, they are easy to answer.:)

P.S Britishguy, write Sky if you want, no need for the $ly, S*y, $ky or whatever.

britishguy4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital subscription
My Location
UK
lol, thx for the replys :) I did wonder why people use $ky S*y and Sly but hey :s

Ok, I'll read up a bit about motorised systems until my PM's are enabled. Cheers :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
britishguy4 said:
lol, thx for the replys :) I did wonder why people use $ky S*y and Sly but hey :s

Ok, I'll read up a bit about motorised systems until my PM's are enabled. Cheers :)

This is one of the motor setup guides:-
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...6-setup-guide-moteck-diseqc-motor-others.html

plus there are others in the same section.

If you have any questions or there is something that you didn't understand, please feel free to ask.:)

Start a new thread if it is generally related to motors.

securekid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB7020, Gem2.0 .....
My Location
UK
Hi Sharkadder,

I got a dreambox 7020 (Gemini installed) but want to use its functionalty more. Got Internet connection with fix IP. Will you please contact me to give input to how i can get futher on with it. would not mind putting a server up on it .....

Looking forward to a reply.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
securekid said:
Hi Sharkadder,

I got a dreambox 7020 (Gemini installed) but want to use its functionalty more. Got Internet connection with fix IP. Will you please contact me to give input to how i can get futher on with it. would not mind putting a server up on it .....

Looking forward to a reply.

Listen securekid, this is a self help forum all the information is available but it is up to you to read it then implement it. If and when you do hit a snag or something you do not understand then you post a question in a new thread. As helpful as members are on the forum no member has the time to guide you through a complicated process like that. If you cannot be bothered to read about how to do it then you will have to do without it.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
@ securekid

well maybe i would contact you if you allowed people to send you a private message once in a while.

I will not discuss things on this forum about "how i can get further with it" .

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
He cant use pm - he hasnt posted enough yet!