Quick install question (not obvious)

mikey678

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(still deciding)
My Location
west yorkshire
hi,

I plan to install my motorised system on saturday but have a quick question. I have read the motorised install guide on this site and it's very useful.

My sky dish (which will be uninstalled on saturday) is on the back of the house facing right - right as in your thinking say from the front of the house(towards the right of the house - the side - almost touching the wall with it's edge).

I understand this is pointing at 28E - my question is how do I figure out which way I'm looking at the arc. For example if I were to move the dish slightly left from the way it is facing would it be pointing at a lower Deg or higher Deg.

As an example would it be 20E (lower degree that it's original position) or say 36E (higher than it's original position).

The point of this is if the satellites lower than 28E are to the right (of the way the dish is facing) then my install will be completely different as it will need to be on a 2M pole looking over the roof which I'm not 100 % confident in installing.

My assumption is that the satellites lower than 28E are to the left of the way the dish is facing - here's hoping that's correct.

Also how far do the dishes actually have to move from say looking at 28E to 1W. In reality how far does the motor have to move?

I've been told by a popular internet satellite product provider that diseqc motors are extremely poor, slow and unreliable. They recommend a heavy duty 36 Volt H to H Motor but I know that many people use diseqc motors and have little or no problems with them.

Thanks in advance and this forum is great btw

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Think you're going to be disappointed!

If the dish is at 28.2 East then Right is lower toward West.

Astra 28.2 E > Astra 19.2E > Hotbird 13 E > Thor 1 W > Hispasat 30 W.

You will have to clear the wall when the dish travels form 28.2 East to 30 West (most common set-up).

If you're still unsure the sun sets in the West at midday it is almost due South it then travel West until if falls below the horizon.

Hope this helps.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you were able to stand behind the dish as it is mounted on the wall, left would be East and right would be west. So the satellites to your left would be further East and lower in the Sky

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Beat me to it GB. :)

mikey678

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(still deciding)
My Location
west yorkshire
thanks for the info,

so a more complicated install than I thought then.

just how far will the dish travel though, will it have to move more than 90 Degrees for example towards right from where it is now.

I assume the dish will have to clear the gutter and the roof to see all available sats.

Just wondering in reality how far apart the satellites are from a dish point of view (more than a right angle?).

thanks for your patience

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
mikey678 said:
Just how far will the dish travel though

From 28.2 East (let's say 30) to 30 West that's 60 degrees in my book.

I assume the dish will have to clear the gutter and the roof to see all available sats.

Yes, but remember once you have put up the mount, the pole and the motor the dish will be well out from the wall. Best to work out how far out and check it can move through the 30E to 30W. You will have to set the limits on the motor to stop it crashing into the wall!

mikey678

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(still deciding)
My Location
west yorkshire
gameboy said:
From 28.2 East (let's say 30) to 30 West that's 60 degrees in my book.

Yes, but remember once you have put up the mount, the pole and the motor the dish will be well out from the wall. Best to work out how far out and check it can move through the 30E to 30W. You will have to set the limits on the motor to stop it crashing into the wall!

The house is the typical terraced house with a pointed roof so with the gutter and enough of the roof cleared it shouldn't hit the house at all.

The wall mount will have to be very high up the wall and will need to be fairly heavy duty as well as a thickish pole - I may now need a heavy duty motor also which means I'll also need a VBOX to convert the diseqc controls.

Thanks for your help.