Advice Needed Rain impacting DVB-S2 ?

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Fracarro Penta Digit 68cm Dish at 28e, unbranded 60cm dish at 9e/13e/19e, EMP Centauri S8/1PCP-W2 switch emulating diseqc motor
My Location
Nantes, France
Hi again guys,

After buying a bigger Fraccaro 85 Penta dish, I decided to put my original smaller Fraccaro Penta digit dish back, but higher up the pole on the chimney. This setup is hopefully allowing me to avoid the trees (as posted in another thread).

I admit I am probably not perfectly aligned as the transponders on 28.5 are pretty weak (I do plan to fine align soon :-) ).

Hovwever, for the other 28.2e satellites, I usually have strong signal. Even if not perfectly aligned, I have 90% quality on many of the astra 1n transponders. Today it's raining, and BBC one hd is breaking up and has borderline 30% signal or nothing. In fact anything on 10847 v, 23000 2/3 is suffering from this in the rain. None of the other transponders on astra 1N are impacted. For example, ITV HD at 10832 H, 22000 5/6 is at 90% and some of the other weaker transponders (10818 v) are at 70% in the rain.

I just find it surprising that even if not 100% perfectly aligned that 10847 v, 23000 2/3 goes from 90% in good weather to nothing in the rain! especially when the other transponders are hardly affected.

Could it be due to the fact it's DVB-S2 using 8PSK with a SR of 23000 that's making it very sensitive to the rain ?

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Might be the fec ( forward error correction ) thats causing this rain fade.

From another site :-

"" The wonderful thing about satellite receivers is Forward Error Correction. Built into the broadcast are check bits. This can vary in rate depending on the provider, but it is always there due to the nature of Satellite communication. This is the reason you get stops and starts in your TV's picture. ""

Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Whatever it is, alight your antenna better:)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Some LNBs can be more sensitive to rain too which won't help matters.

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Fracarro Penta Digit 68cm Dish at 28e, unbranded 60cm dish at 9e/13e/19e, EMP Centauri S8/1PCP-W2 switch emulating diseqc motor
My Location
Nantes, France
Thanks guys.
I know for sure I need to align better.
My goal later this week (assuming the weather is good) is to get up on the roof and spend some quality time aligning it as well as possible (when I switched the dishes, I literally took 5 mins to align). I just found it surprising how the quality of 10847 v, 23000 2/3 dropped so drastically compared to the others :-)

I have the inverto black single lnb (I also have the twin, which according to reports here is better for the higher frequencies, but didn't see much change, so I put back the single).

My big worry is that regardless of what I do (taking lots of time to put slightly higher up pole and perfectly align), that when it rains that the wet leaves on the trees may still have an impact.

I do have a few different LNBs so I can switch them (but only between dry weather -- a wet roof is like an ice rink -- trust me, I know ;-) )

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
The Black Ultra should be fine, I think tweaking the dish when watching the signal on 10847 v would be the best thing.

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nantes, France
He timo,

I'm not sure if I should really use 10847 v, 23000 2/3 for aligning, because in good weather it's really strong. Maybe I will try a wet cloth over it to see if that drops the quality, and then align. My initial plan was to align on 28.5e but with all the talk of ses taking over the frequencies of eutelsat at 28.5e, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't bother and really try to optimize at 28.2e !

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
He timo,

I'm not sure if I should really use 10847 v, 23000 2/3 for aligning, because in good weather it's really strong. Maybe I will try a wet cloth over it to see if that drops the quality, and then align. My initial plan was to align on 28.5e but with all the talk of ses taking over the frequencies of eutelsat at 28.5e, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't bother and really try to optimize at 28.2e !

Not all of them - just 75%! :D

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Maybe try 12051V 27500 2/3 CNN on astra 2A south beam, this is the weakest transponder on this bird from my location ( central southern norway ) use this TP for fine tweaking.

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nantes, France
Thanks skomedal -- yeah CNN is weak for me too -- I think I'll be aligning on that :-)

Do you guys agree that there's no point in aligning on eutelsat 28.5 (due to the immanent migration of frequencies away to 28.2) ?

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Do the fine tweaking before astra 2E gets operational, then no excuse for lost TP signal

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Thanks skomedal -- yeah CNN is weak for me too -- I think I'll be aligning on that :)

Do you guys agree that there's no point in aligning on eutelsat 28.5 (due to the immanent migration of frequencies away to 28.2) ?
Yeah, no point as there won't be many decent channels left on Eutelsat. Also the skew is slightly different to Astra. Might as well try and peak on the satellites you watch most.

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nantes, France
Yeah, screw is radically different and not many good channels there.
Looks like they're all leaving 28.5e anyway (you have to feel somewhat for eutelsat !).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Please note - all the channels are NOT leaving 28.5E - the 11200 - 11450MHz range will still be run by Eutelsat..

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nantes, France
So got on the roof today, moved the pole slightly higher, and re-aligned on CNN.
CNN is now at 70% quality instead of 40%.
BBC HD is pretty much unchanged at 90% quality (but the acid test will be the rain).
It has been good weather today, so I'll be interested to see how things now shape out when the rain pours :-)

I get a few transponders at 40% on eutelsat 28.5e. A couple of years back they'd be at 70%. Those damn trees don't stop growing (good thing they create oxygen :-) ).

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Funny thing with the CNN Tp @ astra 2A south beam, last week my readings were qual 67% yesterday and today were 90%, maybe they screwed up the juice or moved to a new astra sat at this location, as noted by you BBC hd stable at 94%.

Regards

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nantes, France
Hey Skomedal,

Today, I've noticed the same thing with the CNN tp.
The other day when I realigned on CNN, I was at a solid 70%.
Today, the signal is yoyoing between 40% and 90%.

I'm wondering if anything is going on up there in the skies (other than the usual).

Rob

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
CNN Tp constant stable today at the increased strength of 90 qual, seems strange as it was peeing down this morning now light cloud cover ( no stars visible ).

Think we will have to search after a new weakest Tp at this location to tweak our dishes:eek:

Regards