RAM

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
@ Hightower, in "my system" you have your ram as 768. Now if that consists of two strips of 512mb and 256mb the total ram is 512.
The reason for this is if you use two different strips (ie 512 & 256) they will both work at the lower level only, so in fact the 512mb will only go as high as 256mb strip.

Stupid idea I know, but then I don't make the rules.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thought that was only the case with SDRAM Rob, thought that the newer RAM gave what you put in.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
rolfw said:
Thought that was only the case with SDRAM Rob, thought that the newer RAM gave what you put in.

I'll have to double check that Rolf, I hope your right because I have exactly the same set up on my PC.

I read about it in a recent PC magazine, but I think I might check on a few forums and with Crucial, let you know what happens.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
So that's why my other PC still shows 512Mb even though I added another 256Mb?

Llew

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
This is funny I have just been on Crucial's web-site and first of all it says, "In newer systems using SDRAM or DDR SDRAM memory, you can use modules of different densities with no problem.
For example, if your computer came with a 128MB memory module, you can add a 256MB module for a total of 384MB of RAM.
However if you have a "dual-channel" system (?) And want to take advantage of that technology, you will need to ensure that the modules in each memory slot are the same density.

So far so good, then I read this on another page of the same web-site:-

"Can I mix and match speeds"

Memory is designed to be backward-compatible, so generally speaking you can safely add faster memory to your computer.
However your system will operate at the speed of the slowest module.

Think I'll go and fix the lawn-mower, much more easy. :-doh!

PS. Might be a good idea to transfer these bits to the "Computer Section" as we are blocking this thread.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, but you are confusing size and speed, both sticks will work at the lower speed, but you will gain the full memory size. :)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Rolf I'm not only confused I'm baffled, I thought that the point of adding extra RAM was to speed your PC up.
For example my PC came with 256MB of Ram, and it was going very slow, so after consulting with Crucial they OK'd an extra 512MB which gives me 768MB (?).

Now IF I wanted to speed it up even more (which I don't) I would need to get another 512MB of Ram (which is only £34) and install the two 512Mb modules together, which should make 1GB I think.

Am I on the right lines, or have I tipped over the edge !!!

What do you think of the "split thread", not bad for first attempt.

:-hijack

PS:- What is a "Dual-Channel System"

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
1Gb probably Rob :D

And well split
L.:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Firstly you are correct, more RAM will speed up your system, as more work is done in RAM and avoids costant writing and reading of the hard drive, so things will load more quickly. But RAM also has different speeds, the newer the faster. I'm not a great expert on this, but I have a dual channel system and this probably means that the memory effectively performs more quickly as both modules are addressed simultaneously as opposed to starting with one and then using the second when the first is fully occupied.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
@ Rolf:- How do I know if I have a "dual channel system"

You must remember that I am really stupid, (and also have just come out of the pub)

Thanks Rob. ;)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, bad time to be looking at RAM when you've had a few...

The definitive answer is in your motherboard specifications. What is the motherboard make/model/revision number? It should be printed on the board somewhere.

There is a lot more to memory than that, including CAS latency, access speed (as well as bus speed) optimum timing settings, chip configuration (double/single sided/number) and even then the chip manufacturer can make it incompatible with any given board.

The memory slots often have a preference based on their layout and number etc.

There will also be a limit imposed by the board and/or BIOS (which, if the latter may be increased with a BIOS flash)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
My system tells me on the startup screen, that's the only reason I know I've got one. :-lmao

Dual-channel chipsets continue conquering the market. After Intel transferred its processors to the Quad Pumped Bus, the CPU bus bandwidth sprang up and much faster memory types became necessary to use it efficiently. As CPU speed grows much faster than memory speed, developers have to bring about new technological solutions to create well-balanced computer systems. The most popular solution like that now is the implementation of two memory controllers working in parallel. As a result, we get twice the memory bandwidth.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I believe (dont quote me on this ), the speed of the RAM chip is determined by the PC*** number, 100, 133, 166 etc. and this is what determines the overall speed of the processing power through them. The actual capacity of the sticks, 128, 256 etc determines how fast the actual motherboard can work.

So using larger cpacity sticks with low PC*** speed may not actually give any advantage.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
More memory will only make a program run faster if you are experiencing dosk paging, where the program writes to the hard disk because the memory has all been used up.

1GB of RAM will not run Solitare any faster than 256 MB.

PaulR

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I dont have a system (yet) that allows any more than 512MB of Ram (two sticks)

If I found a processor for the P4 board I have in a box, I would then have to source new sticks

Cant win

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Well after working on a desktop that was as slow as a snail going up a ski slope the last few weeks,was thinking of updating it. Its an old HP about 5 years old, with 10gb hard drive, it takes about 5 mins to load up. Has a floppy & cd drive. So off i went on saturday and started with a dual dvd drive. Not bad for 75 euro, I will be able to burn 2 movies to a disc now. Then I said I will get more ram, think im going to stop there and have a good read about this after reading the above threads. Was thinking of getting 2 x 512mb, but now I might as well get a new motherboard as well and get a 300gb hard drive too. Instead of buying another desktop system.Then I will be able to transfer all my mp3s & dvds onto it and leave it off the laptop. And have it for another rainey day, although would have been lost without it.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
ahhhhh but......what's the max output of the power supply?:)