Rant #357590

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
God channel as you know is FTA on various satelllites, including one of the Telecom sats at a rather obscure position.
Turns out that one can subscribe at that position to God Revival. The nice man will come to your (UK) house and fit a huge dish pointing at that location where there is virtually nothing else to watch, and charge you 16 GBP per month (as I recall) for that one channel.

You can then ask the nice man why it is that the almost-six million others with Sky digital installations can receive the same Revival channel from 28.2e at no charge whatsoever.

The answer is explained in a recent newsletter sent to Revival subscribers: yes, there is a free transmission on the Sky platform, but as good Christians it is their duty to spread The Word. Hence they must all continue to use the obscure location and pay the subscription fees, in order that sufficient funds be generated to support the free transmissions.

Er, is it just me, or is there something disturbingly cynical and insidious about this?

2old

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 15-Aug-01 AT 06:08 PM (GMT)[/font][p]Hello OM

Perhaps the word is convoluted.

or do I mean the world?

I like you have problems sorting out the logic of these religious broadcasts.

The poor old BBC can't afford to open a few extra repeat channels, ITV can't afford to join SKY, and yet there are more and more of these great religious channels opening up all over the place.

Where *does* the money come from?, and why don't they sing any of the good old hymns that I like.

Rantingly yours .........

Marques de Grinon(1998) - Lovelly Jubly...

PS. Rant Numbers :

They are obviously not random as the latest is always higher than the previous one(or have been so far anyway).

Is there a pattern, are there any which are published elsewhere, if so where?

Regards

W Hole

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
If you total up all of the digits in the rant number, then sum those of that resulting total, and so on, you eventually get to a single-digit number between 1 and 9.
You can imagine the amount of work that is involved using that algorithm in reverse to generate the numbers, but I feel it is worth it.
65old

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Numbers, Ha !

Try using a hexadecimal. Should keep us on our toes :-)

Regards posting: Same goes for BBC World. FTA analogue satellite, but, not to be seen FTA digitally in europe anywhere.

Response: "BBC World is paid for by bouquet provider's who wish to carry their service" (I thought funding came from the Foreign Office). "We are looking into providing BBC World FTA on digital satellite when it suits us."

Have more fun,

Mark.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Mark

Does W1 count as Europe, get a good signal there on BBC World here in Somerset.

Or did you mean on the usual E13 and E19.2 in which case you are quite right, I suspect that now that Sky have pulled out of E19.2 we might just see it sometime in the future, its more to do with 'rights' than costs I think.

Anyway O.M. if you are that good with alogowhatists, how come you haven't cracked the Sky Digital package yet. - or perhaps you have and you are keeping it to yourself...

Regards to all

W Hole

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
w hole,

There was, even at the time of me complaining to the beeb, a DSAT version of BBC World - but, my dish couldn't get round to that location.

Are you sure its W1 ? Had a look and couldn't find it. I have a feeling it was somewhere around 45°east ? Sorry if that's wrong. I went out and bought an analogue receiver in the end :-)

I just couldn't understand why there wasn't a digital feed between 28.2° and 8°east. There is, but all provided through Pay-TV operators.

Perhaps, since Dec 2000 that has changed ?

Have Fun,

Mark.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
W - Sky uses a very complex multiple key, derived from a branch of mathemetaics called chaos theory, and seeded with the the vector representation in non-Euclidean space of Mrs. Murdoch's cup-size. It would be quite improper of me to reveal that.

Mark -
this BBC World thing is indeed insidious too. The reason often given for not making it available to British viewers is that it is, as you say, funded by the Foreign Office.
Now those of us who watch it will know that it is at least partially funded by adverts and sponsoring (a fact that came as a real shock to some British vistors I had out here, since they were used to BBC's ranting on about the licence fee and treating any form of advertising revenue as if it were somehow counter to their fundamental principles...).
It makes one wonder how much revenue is generated by advertising and subscriber fees (via those bouquets carrying the encrypted versions). If it can be funded that way, what possible reason is there for continuing to withold this from the British public?

And while we're at it, why is BBC-Prime similarly witheld? It's a cracking channel with some excellent BBC programmes, vintage and current. Gems include the Goodies, Dr. Who, Blake's 7 and suchlike (nostalgia...). Knocks spots off BBC-Choice. And it's entirely a subscriber channel. Why can't British people in the UK subscribe to their own "home" channel while the rest of us nasty foreigners can? It's bizarre...

By the way chaps, BBC-World is in clear digital at Intel707 (1W).
See http://www.lyngsat.com/i707.shtml
BBC World India is clear digital at Nilesat (7W) (weak, but just comes in at my location with a 1.2m Gregorian).
See http://www.lyngsat.com/nile101.shtml

2old

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear 2old.

I have always held the belief that, if the BBC had their own way, they would dump UK Whatever(gold, horizens, cheese and cutdown repeats) and have a PTV 'BBC Prime' in the UK.

All I will say is - watch-out for the charter review in a few years time, and you might well be watching what you want :-)

I totally agree with what you said.

Have Fun,

Mark.