Raw MPEG from a Sky Box

panash

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Don't know which thread this should go into but here seems as good a place as any.

Is anyone working on getting raw MPEG data from a Sky STB into a computer like the Hauppauge DEC2000-t does?. I'd be much more interested in that than hacking the CAM (I don't mind paying for Sky, but I'd like a flexible, open PVR)

PN

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Perhaps a better line might be to find out what is involved in the multi thousand pound conversion of a Dodgybox so that it can feed a digital signal through to a plasma TV.

There was an article last year sometime in Wotsat. Hmmm, maybe more than a year ago as they said that BBC DG John Burt had one.

PaulR

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Don’t think that there is a way to get the raw data out.
The back of the box is very limited, very well designed by sky, they just want you watching tv.

However if you could break into to the circuitry and knew what you where doing it might be possible. The choice would be to pull out the data pre or post CAM.
Best of luck.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
For some time last year I looked into creating a digital coaxial out for audio.

I noted all the semiconductor codes within the box (relevant to audio) and then turned amateur sleuth, searching online, for these and/or similar semiconductor's. Nope. Nothing. Best I got was a pin layout for a Philips MP@2L MPEG decoder (good if you have a Philips digibox?).

Whatever - fact is, its a digibox? Phone Panasonic UK and ask if a schematic exists and they say "no, only SKY have them". Fact is, Panasonic don't have data sheets for even their semiconductors used in their digiboxes.

Fact was, I got bored, and gave up. I imagine the same would go for any other mod. Fact is, unless you have some darn good kit and know what an MPEG datastream looks like AND have the ability to (safely) poke around with it - carry on using the RGB out.

Albeit, for those with a knack for these things - the block below might help. In any event I guess you would be looking to tap in to the datastream at the output of the graphic controller (in many cases this is incorporated into the MPEG decoder) or, at the the input of a suitable video DAC.

At this point, the data will be both decrypted and will be in a state where you can nab it (i.e. as with any standard DAC). Seems simple enough - hark!

stb_2.gif

Have Fun,

Mark.